Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

James Cameron returning to sci-fi

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Nov 25, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cameron's going to make a 3D sci-fi movie after a 7 year layoff from fictional films. Could be fun...I haven't been to a fictional 3D movie since Jaws 3D was in theaters. Maybe he can redeem that titanic piece of crap that he last directed.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041125/D86J0CK80.html

brad cook

2. I was never able to figure out that jump he made in genres. You had the Alien series, then the Terminator, then TITANIC?? ***?!?!

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It was kinda perplexing to me too. My best guess is (but I'm sure the legitimate story is around somewhere) he just got interested in the uncovering of the Titanic that was going on at the time and the mystique of the story and no one would give him money if he involved aliens or robots in the story so he just wrote down some cliched crap inspired by The Love Boat and Oliver Twist. I guess the story part was just a way to make big cool boat effects. The only part of the movie that I enjoyed was seeing those massive pistons going up and down. That was kinda cool...then I went back to sleep.

brad cook

4. I'm just glad you were able to salvage something interesting out of that ship-wreck.

Leigh

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm a big fan of "Battle Angel: Alita". I don't know what to expect from this.

James Cameron choose some good material to base a movie on. I just hope it doesn't get diluted. "BA:A" is a pretty cool idea just by itself, I hope he doesn't turn it into something like "A.I." with more blood.

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Do not mention
    Stranger In a Strange land
    or Foundation trilogy
    or The Space Merchants

in this thread, they may screw up the best fiction in the
    genre ...

:help:

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The rights of those movies have already been bought up. If there's a resurgence in sci-fi interest, I'm sure we can expect to see these movies with a plethora of talent behind them....Hilary Duff, Ashton Kutcher, etc. etc.

8. Please tell me you're being sarcastic...

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I think the body of Robert Heinlein would come back to life to
    destroy the universe as we know it if Ashton Kutcher was cast as Michael Valentine Smith ... :scowl:

:D