Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

James Hughart

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Keech, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    One of my favorite double bass players was the guy that played for Tom Waits thru his first several albums. James Hughart.

Does anybody know anything about him and what he's doing now?

2. I hope i'm up to date on what I know about Jim Hughart. Jim married a long time singer friend of mine from Denver named Yvette Stewart.
    Jim, for many years has been up in the 1-3 first call studio bassists in L.A. He's a close friend and playing partner of the GREAT tenorsaxist, Pete Christlieb, who I have had the great pleasure of playing and recording with for many more years. Pete is a M*&%#@"F%$#@~<> If you get my drift.
    You've probably heard Hughart more than you know, because he's recorded so much stuff that he'll never get credit for. Examples: Sinatra, Jobim (including Wave) Again, you get my drift, literally hundreds of stuff. He's one of those all-around Mothers who can do it all!

3. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    Thank you for the update. I became a fan of his because of the stuff he did with Waits. In fact, Pete Christlieb also appears on "Nighthawks At the Diner" along with Mr. Hughart. I never hear anything about him, though, and when I fist started messing with double bass, it was Jim Hughart licks I cut my teeth with.

Glad to know he's okay and making his mark. Thanks again!

4. Here's something to think about...When you're a studio player, because of all the reading and control in the studios, it's not easy to put your personal MARK on what you have to play.
    Jim, is one of the few players who can pull this off. Sometimes it's so restricting, that the only thing you can do to put your personal stamp on the work is just YOUR SOUND.
    The great Brazilian drummer, the late Claudio Slon, told me they did the Jobim album WAVE in installments....Sending the tape around the world for each player or string section or whoever to ADD thier part to the finished work! I'm not clear who did what and where, but this is straight from the horses mouth.
    But my point is..it's clearly Jim Hughart on DB, although he may have been in a room all by his own self!!

5. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    It's not easy to put your mark on anything even when you have total control.

I love Jobim. Too bad he died, he had a real touch with music. At least Gilberto's still out there and still recording--at least he was in 2000.

Probably not that hard for him. He's like Percy Jones in that respect. A sound all his own. When you hear it, you don't even wonder who it is. There's only one person that plays that way. I took Jim Hughart's bass lines apart. I dissected them because I figured if I was going to sound like anyone on DB that was who I wanted to sound like. So I got to know his style pretty well. And I probably do sound like him to someone familiar with his work although I'm quite certain they would tell me, "But you still have long way to go!"

[sigh] Indeed.

6. Keech, Am I missing something? Who's Percy Jones?
    You don't mean Percy Heath do you? If you don't, please hip me to Percy Jones..Thanks

7. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    Percy Jones is primarily a bass guitarist but he does play DB. Whether he would have fit into the MJQ is another issue--certainly would have been interesting.

PJ plays for a band called Brand X who started in the 70s and who still appear to be together in that a new release seems to come out every few years. He has also done a few solos CDs as well with some great stuff with Brian Eno.

Brand X's original drummer was Phil Collins--who was absolutely phenomenal on those recordings. But Percy Jones plays fretless bass guitar unlike anything I have ever heard. He plays DB with that same super quirky but brilliant style. Talk about having a touch! He plays it microtonally and coaxes the strangest sounds out of a bass.

It's not even that he can play in such a bizarre, extremely complex fashion--how does he even think of it??