1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

James Jamerson footage 1963

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bluespenny, Aug 16, 2012.

1. bluespenny

bluespenny

Mar 17, 2009
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Cool, the choreography got tighter once Smokey sent his then wife home. The guitarist with the Jazzmaster getting his chord straight got mt attention. It was interesting to see that Jamerson was touring with the P-bass and not the doghouse.

3. Looks like Eddie Willis playing the Jazzmaster.
    Who's the drummer?

Is there more of this footage somewhere?

Thanks for posting this :cool:

4. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    How awsome

5. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I was surprised at how low his bass hung on him (not that its low by today's standards), but still sweet video of the master in action!

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'm with James on the strap length! And his playing's pretty darn great too!

Seriously though, I dropped my strap to about that point, and it gave me a more relaxed less-bent angle on my wrists and I no longer have any soreness even after heavy practicing/gigging plus I can handle some heavy gauge half rounds or Jamerson Labella's on my AVRI 62' PBass.

Great find!

7. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Great farkin' performance.

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Fabulous footage, especially in view of there being so little out there!

You can see his Ampeg B15 pretty clearly, FWIW.

I'd also like to know where this came from- is there more?

9. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Wow. Just wow. Soul for days ! As a bass player, I feel like I've just seen long lost footage of my dearest Granda Groove ! Talk about old school cool!

Thanks so much for posting this. I'll have to watch this a bunch more times when I get home from work.

10. Terrific rare footage. That was a 30 city tour ending up with 5 days at The Apollo. Missing...Pete Moore? True, Claudette stopped touring with The Miracles shortly thereafter, although she sang on virtually all their recordings. Can't tell if it was Eddie sitting there on rhythm guitar, but Marv Tarplin was the bandleader (for years and years), and I did pick Joe Hunter out on piano. Possibly Uriel Jones on drums but can't really tell. Tony Newton also toured extensively on bass with Smokey.

11. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Great footage - Notice also the B15 extension cab to the left of the Fender amp.

12. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Must be Tony Newton here in front, as band leader?

http://youtu.be/myGV-7NDaNE

13. bluespenny

bluespenny

Mar 17, 2009
    I'm the OP, just found this and don't know much more about it. Maybe someone with more background can explain this from the same concert:
    The bandleader is playing bass, while a third bass player (besides JJ) is seen leaving from where JJ was in the Miracles clip. And, take note during the Miracles set, that same bass player throws his sheet music back on stage, making Jamerson look over.
    I'd love to know the who's and why's of these clips.

14. No way...Smokeys longtime bandleader was guitarist Marv Tarplin. Marv was an actual member of the group and appeared on album covers as well. Tony took over the full time bass responsibilities when Berry Gordy decided to keep Jamerson and many of the other Funk Brothers studio bound...just cutting tracks every day.

15. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    Am I the only one who can't see this video? I've tried several times from two different computers now, and the video just freezes randomly in the middle of the opening advertisement, and there is no way to get it going again without reloading the page, which just starts the cycle all over again. Really frustrating.

(Yes, my Flash player is up to date.)

16. Thats great! This is as rare as running into bigfoot. lol

17. Mary Wells
    I had the great, great honor to hang out with Mary just a few short years before her untimely death.
    I had a million questions for her about recording at Motown, the industry back then but we never seemed to get around to them. We mostly talked current events and what not. I didn't want to perhaps open an old wound about royalties and such. At the time she was not receiving much, if any money at all, from her catalog as I recall.
    She was so kind, sweet and patient. Just listening to her speaking voice was musical and she still had that undefinable "it" factor. She was a true American treasure.
    May she rest in peace.

18. i cant see the video.. its blacked out ..but the audio comes through..