1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

James Jamerson - Marvin Gaye : What's Going On - What's Happening Brother (Live 1972)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IamGroot, Feb 12, 2018.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018

I guess I never saw heard a live performance of James, let alone a filmed one. James playing is beautiful and its not a copy of what is on the record. No wonder Marvin wouldn't record unless James was available. Some clear shots of James claw, very limited amounts of his face and left hand. He is TOTALLY absorbed in playing.

On a sad note, I just discovered James son and session Bassist James Jr passed in 2016. Also that they are try to raise money for a headstone for James.

Eric66, 12BitSlab, duncmill and 6 others like this.
  2. Here's another.

Billyzoom, hs123 and unbridled like this.
  3. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Thats Dennis Coffey and Wah Wah Watson on guitar, Joe Sample on keys. Might be others in there I dont recognize.The fade on the first song is wierd. The band kept on playing. I guess they turned down the master volume to emulate the record. Gonna have to do some serious listening and licks stealing.

phangtonpower likes this.
  4. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    What a wonderful performance. Live, no auto-tune, not a simple copy of the recorded version. Awesome. Marvin Gaye was incredible.

5. ...and at the end of the video around the 14:00 mark there's a short clip of slap bass originator, Larry Graham.
    Not sure where that came from.
    It's always nice to see live footage of the legend Jamerson. The guy was all business. No flash, no dance moves, just a musician playing his part in the supporting band.

IamGroot likes this.
  6. It was probably a VHS recording put into digital format from a fellow bass nerd :p

the harp unstrung likes this.