1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

James Jamerson - Resources

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BenJanning, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    Could anyone tell me if there is a James Jamerson compilation Cd or a Best Of? I know he played with many different acts. Also where could I learn some of his songs? I know about Standing in the Shadows of Motown. Does anyone know where I could download a PDF version of this?
    Thanks Guys!

2. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Well, SITSOM has a 2-hour CD with it so that would be a good place to look. As far as I'm aware it was never officially released as an ebook, PDF or otherwise and I think if you're looking for an... "unauthorized" version, you'll have to search on your own (If the book were out of print or hard to find like "What Duck Done" that'd be another story, but since it's a readily available book you should just buy it).

3. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    If you go to YouTube there are quite a few audio only videos of Jamerson playing. They are isolated bass tracks, which means the vocals have been taken out, and the other instruments are barely, if at all audible. Check out "Bernadette" and "Whats Going On" Just search "James Jamerson isolated bass".

4. I'd also be interested in a list of sheet music if there's any around of either the bass or just guitar/keys for these songs.

5. The SITSOM book should be available through Amazon or check with your local book store and they can probably order it. I'm not aware of any downloadable version, however the Jamerson 2 CD memorial project where some of the top bassists alive perform many Jamersons great basslines from Allen Slutskys transcriptions is well worth the 35 bucks or so the book & CD set costs.