Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

James Jamerson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by steve2, Mar 25, 2002.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I am starting to listen to some of James Jamerson recordings. What are some of your favorites that he recorded and which ones do you like to play? Thanks

Steve

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    So many-
    The 4 Tops- bass line (really a symphony!)
    on "Reach Out-I'll be There"
    is IMO a masterpiece of playing- it defines as did JJ's body of work, what the Fender bass was meant to do, in many ways the foundation of modern pop music.

Mary Welles "My Guy"- That's JJ on upright bass-
    He was a jazz player for sure.

Absolute greatest innovator of electric bass-the best.

3. Guy

Guy

Apr 26, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, but "Standing in the Shadows..." doesn't have the original recordings. Only transcriptions, and recordings of other bassists playing with a session band - unless there's a different package than the one I bought like 10 years ago. It's cool, but not exactly the same as hearing Jamerson play himself.

What would be cool would be a Best of James Jamerson CD. Maybe this is a different thread, but what tracks would people put on it?

I'd nominate:
    What's Going On
    Shotgun
    Papa was a Rolling Stone

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Man I shedded that book for a year about 4 yeas ago while I can play most of and make it sound good for some reason (mabys its cause its $#@!! hard!) I still cant really get "Home Cookin" some thing about the speed and big diggin in feel the jamerson gets, man! James was a bad mofo:cool:

AJ

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Re: "Best of J. Jamerson" CD!

That is a very good idea!
    How 'bout it Motown? (or are you to busy w/
    "Destiny's Child" or whatever-Note: They're good, I like 'em!)

My suggestions for tunes to be included:

1) Everything he ever played on

2) See #! above

:D

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hoo boy! My faves are:
    "My Mistake" - Marvin Gaye & Diana Ross
    "I Don't Know Why I Love You" - J5
    and the HARDEST of them all, "What's Happening Brother" - Marvin Gaye. It's hard, because he doesn't stick to a main groove. It's like when he recorded this one, he was saying to the basement bands' bassist, "Ha! See if you can cop this one, little man!"

7. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Thanks everyone. I haven't played that much motown but since I started listening to some of his recordings that he is on I really enjoyed them. I am learning my first Jamerson song. I want you back by The Jackson 5. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites to play. I am more of an Intermediate level so I will try to learn some of the easier ones. I will defiently get the book. I also bought me a set of 60's custom shop Jazz pups for my MIM brown sunburst J bass and I have also bought some flatwounds for it but I haven't installed either of them yet.

Steve2

8. some of my favorites are: my girl,don't mess with bill,still waters run deep,my baby loves me,there are just to many to mention,i grew up in the sixties and listened to motown on, am radio,motown songs can be identified by the bass lines and definately inspired me to play bass,
    standing in the shadows of motown is a must buy for all bass players not only for our growth but also to show respect to one of the greatest bass players that ever picked up bass,just think james jamerson created all these bass lines,he laid the foundation for us,the least we could do is support his family.
    frank

9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Everyone who digs the bass must give total props to JJ- nobody has ever had that much soul!!!

BTW- Steve2-
    Now all ya gotta do is raise those strings about
    3 feet off the neck, & change them every 3-4 years! Then, carve "Funk Machine" on the heel of your Bass!!!:) :D

Also: Add "Darling Dear" to the best ever tunes.

10. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I just ordered the book. I have to have it. It sounds like a very good deal and it comes with 2 CD's. I ordered it at Amazon for only $24.95. Thanks everyone.

Steve

11. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    errrr as far as I know Jamerson didnt play on that track in fact I'm nearly sure it was Wilton Felder who did the bass line for 'I want you back'

:confused:

12. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I got the song list from Bassland. http://www.bassland.net/jamersonhits.htm
    On the I want you back he has an astrik by the song.

( * NOTE - I believe these recordings are the work of Bob Babbitt & Wilton Felder (Jackson 5) and I will either confirm them as Jamersons work or take them down but thanks for your additions to this list. In any event these recordings are a tribute Jamerson's style. - BassLand).

UPDATE 7/18/2k There is a recording of "I Want You Back" that is on the album "Motown Sings Motown Treasures" from the 60's and David Ruffin is singing the Jackson 5 hit. Based upon hearing that recording I now believe it was Jamerson on both recordings.

I dont have that much knowledge so I am just going on what I read but you could very well be correct. It could have been Wilton Felder.

Steve

13. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    yes I've heard this, I think its Jamerson playing on the David Ruffin version and I'd nearly swear it's Felder on the Jackson 5 version.

Anyway whoever did it its a cracking good bassline.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I admire you for trying to play that song. "Home Cookin'" and "How long has that Evening Train Been Gone" are the two fingerbusters of SISOM I haven't even tried to approach seriously.

My faves are "I Heard it Through The Grapevine", "Darlin' Dear", "You Can't Hurry Love" and a Supremes tune called "The Happenning"

All this Jamerson talk is making me think seriously about going back to a P bass.. and sticking with it for good.

15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ya thats a hard one;) personally if find it harder than How long has that evening train just cause of the diggin in combined with the speed. how long is played with a lighter touch but Home Cookin, he's hittin that thing.I cant believe he just sat down and busted out those lines. CRAZY!!

AJ

16. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Is Darlin Dear difficult to play. In one way it seems easy because of the tempo but in another way it seems difficult due to the irregular pattern.

Steve

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I seem to recall an article with Wilton Felder about this in Bass Player magazine.

18. Jameson did all this great stuff with ONLY ONE FINGER, to boot. He used his pointer--"the hook" he called it--because he wanted to make sure he had the same sound on every take.

All this is moot, anyway...Carol Kaye played on all the Motown stuff, like "Bernadette." ;)