James Jamerson

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by noetical1, May 1, 2003.

1. Hi Mr. Watt:

Have you seen the new movie "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" ? It's a recent award winning documentary about old James Jamerson and the Funk Brothers of Motown fame.

Have you studied any Jamerson? Do you have a favourite lick or a particullarly challenging tune that you enjoy?

inquiring minds would like to know.
    Dave P
  2. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    I'm not Mike, but I'll comment. Motown records should be required listening for bass players; talk about anchoring the song... damn. Take any of those bass parts away and the whole thing falls apart. The intro to "My Girl" is three notes, but they're the most immportant three notes in the song.
  3. by the way...the movie was produced by the same guy who wrote the "Standing in the Shadows..." bass book about James Jamerson...I think the book came out in '88 or so, and the author has been working on the documentary since then...

It's a good bass practice book...

4. Mass props to Allan Slutsky for taking all that time to make that book! It's the bass bible!
  5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, SLutsky's done some good work.

Rising Low is another good bass-oriented movie (and it hass Watt in it!), I watched it the other night and was so motivated and inspired by it that I sat up till 5 in the morning playing.
  6. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

I still gotta see that movie! mike gordon was nice to think of me and of course, warren haynes and matt abts - that's why I was there for the camera to have me...

big, big ups to james jamerson... very much stuff to learn from eternally. he's a GIGANTIC influence on me and lots of cats who might not know his name or who he was - it's that intense. much respect to mister james jamerson.

on bass, watt

7. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    hi mike,

welcome back from the road. i moved to pedro about four years ago, some of my friends have jammed with you but i haven't had the pleasure of running into you yet. i went to see a banyan show on a friday once when y'all were playing on saturday...

anyway, i saw the movie a few months ago and bought the dvd this weekend, lemme know if you wanna come on over and check it out.

-jeff in pedro
  8. watt

that's very kind of you thanks - what's your email address?

on bass, watt

9. watt

I really like the bass line in "what's goin' on" - that one's sure a beauty - "you keep my hanging on" is good - heck, I like them all!

on bass, watt