James Johnston Jazz Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Feb 16, 2014.

1. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Lookin for some members. I know your out there!!

2. powerpopper

powerpopper

Aug 12, 2009
    Ordered a Fender American Deluxe Jazz and the JJ at the same time. At about 1/4 of the price, the JJ is outstanding--passive and simple. Might have to go Tort pick guard too.

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Maybe someone with a CV-J would be willing to sell or trade theirs for your minty one? After all, they are the same bass. ;)

4. WOW the tort looks pretty good! As soon as my black pearloid pg shows up I'll upload a pic.

5. donnyrocker

donnyrocker

Aug 5, 2014
    no commercial affiliations
    got one two days ago from Sweetwater (picked up at the store). Played it vs my 2005 USA Pbass through my GK 1001RB II + 410 rig and it made the P sound kinda muddy.

6. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    staticOverdrive you are number 9.
    donnyrocker you are number 10.

Welcome aboard.

donnyrocker likes this.
  7. Arnel M., jd56hawk and donnyrocker like this.
  8. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I love that black pearloid pickguard. Really gives it a different look.

static0verdrive likes this.
  9. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
  10. donnyrocker

donnyrocker

Aug 5, 2014
    Will Custom Shop '60s Single-Coil Jazz Bass Pickups be exact replacements, if I wanted to? (models on Adam Clayton signature Jazz) Thanks!

11. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    I don't see why not. However the stock pickups sound better than my MIA 75RI.

donnyrocker likes this.
  12. donnyrocker

donnyrocker

Aug 5, 2014
    On the few outings so far, the stock pickups *sound* fine, but need some verve ;)

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  13. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    I have only gigged mine once, however bedroom practice and through headphones they do sound amazing for their price.

donnyrocker likes this.
  14. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Just got my JJJ today! I only just recently found out about this bass and Biffy Clyro, but I've come to really enjoy both. A local store had one, and I just passed it by typically, but decided to look it closer one day. Even with a reasonably poor setup (to my preference), it still felt great and sounded great. I've always liked the Classic Vibe jazzes, and I got a gift card to GC for christmas, so I just added a bit of money and picked this one up. I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet to fully test it, but on initial out of the box test, it's in great shape. My biggest fear is the fret ends (nothing turns me off more than fret sprout!), because that's one thing I don't know how to fix (yet), but man does this neck feel great, just like my Cabronita bass. Squier has truly stepped up, and I finally have a jazz bass (which I've been trying to get one for a very long time now, but never seemed to pull the trigger).

Hopefully is sounds as good as it looks and feels, but so long as everything works well, I'm not worried.

Attached Files:

15. Congrats, and welcome to the club!! My fret ends are a work of art, so it sounds like that particular one may have dried out on the store rack for too long and the wood shrank from lack of humidity... Not sure if you can or if it's too late, but one option anyway: many places allow you to order a factory-sealed box from the manufacturer (which will be newer in most cases and have been stored properly) so you could potentially return this one and ask for that instead (if it's bad).

Either way, enjoy it. It's my #1!

16. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    No no, the one I got is great. No rough fret edges. Same as the one in the store that I tried, the frets were just fine. It was just a little high action. I was just saying I can't stay rough fret ends, and a lot of other guitars and basses I try have them, so I'm always a bit worried when I order online since I can't try it first. But thankfully, Squier has been doing a really good job recently, and the bass arrived in great shape and with no rough ends. I still need to do a full setup, and we'll see if there are any issues with the frets, but so far nothing is apparent.

17. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Wow, I forgot I even started this club. I'll hand out numbers when I get home from work.

18. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Okay so here is a new list of numbers:

1- pica
    2- mulambo
    3- FarkusSWR
    4- Grorenauta
    5- dinodino
    6- Fernando Costa
    7- FronTowardEnemy
    8- Bass Master General
    9- staticOverdrive
    10- donnyrocker
    11- powerpopper
    12- TechJunky

19. donnyrocker

donnyrocker

Aug 5, 2014
    Added the Hipshot tuners (direct drop ins) including the Xtender for Drop D as well as the tortoise shell pickguard. It's my #1 now for gigs.

I put flatwounds on it after trying out some La Bella rounds and saw that some of the frets already have some string grooves in 'em. This is on a bass I bought new just 9 months ago :/

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021