James Johnston Jazz Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Smoothmove

Smoothmove Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Lebanon , Oregon
    I want in Mine will be here Wed. I can't wait.

Attached Files:

jd56hawk likes this.
  2. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Ray H you are number 13.

3. Smoothmove

Mar 29, 2015
    Lebanon , Oregon
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I just got my Awesome Squier!!!
    I am amazed how nice this bass is. Possibly the Best Squier Jazz bass I've Ever played.
    I have a new friend

static0verdrive likes this.
  4. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    This bass sounds as good if not better then any MIM Fender I've played.

Ray H. likes this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I believe you, because so does mine. I have the CV Jazz in Inca Silver but I still want the JJ model. Sure, I can buy an MIM Jazz, but why bother when the Squire gets the job done? I like it in LP Blue, I like the matching headstock, I like the way it plays and sounds. I missed one with a tort pickguard a few months ago on ebay for a little over $200 because I didn't think my high bid would be topped and I check every day for another bargain-priced one.

ttomom and Ray H. like this.
  6. Smoothmove

Mar 29, 2015
    Lebanon , Oregon
    Here's a pic of James.

Attached Files:

7. b limbo

b limbo

Sep 28, 2016
    I just got mine yesterday, it's sweet! Fit & Finish is great and lotsa tone to work with! Surprised at how well it plays for the $$, not that I had low expectations, but . . . Squire MIC, didn't know what I'd be getting. I never order instruments because it's such a personal thing, the touch and feel. But there was an overwhelming amount of positive reviews and I just had to get that Blue metallic! IMG_2604.JPG

static0verdrive and Ray H. like this.
  8. Smoothmove

Mar 29, 2015
    Lebanon , Oregon
    Worth every penny!!!

9. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Welcome to the club b limbo. I believe you are number 14.

10. ttomom

ttomom

Mar 29, 2007
    Got one a few months ago off Ebay for a little over $200, with hard shell case; was that the one you tried to get? My band is currently recording an album and the guys in the band prefer the sound of the JJ Jazz over my 77 P. The P is a great live bass (burly and loud with EMG pickups, Badass bridge) but the guys prefer the crisp sound of the "cheap" bass, especially on the recordings

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  11. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    That may have been mine. I sold it to some guy. He didn't like it so I bought it back.

jd56hawk likes this.
  12. I've had mine for over a year, and I love it. Without a doubt as good if not better than Fender Mexicans. I think the real gem of it is the neck, I love the small frets and the general feel of it.

static0verdrive and Ray H. like this.
  13. I have had mine .. what almost 2 years now?? The neck ... yes. The small frets, the finish, etc. I second that!

14. I got mine about a year ago and changed the pickguard too.. Since I got it it mostly replaced my Ibanez basses that I used to play live... Now I only take an Ibanez for some songs and a btb 5-string for some others, for most of the songs I use the James Johnston bass.. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23c6.jpg

15. That's my one complaint. Wish the frets were a bit taller.

Love mine. It got put away shortly after getting it because I purchased two higher end Ibby's. Recently pulled it out and was reminded at how good this thing sounds and plays.

static0verdrive likes this.
  16. JennP

JennP

May 16, 2017
    Hi! Mind if I join the club? I'm a beginner, only having played the bass now for a few months. I picked up my JJ Bass yesterday and couldn't be more excited as Biffy is my FAVORITE band and James is absolutely fantastic. Monday I'm going to see the band at a fairly local radio show and plan on getting the pick guard autographed, and either try to preserve the signatures or swap out the pick guard so that I can continue playing this lovely bass. It's quite the step up from my "starter kit" bass and I am already in love.
    IMG_5343.jpg

lowdownthump, b limbo and Datsgor like this.
  17. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Welcome to the bass world. These are great basses! Enjoy!

JennP likes this.
  18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Nice bass, especially now that they're discounted.
    Always wanted one...the Inca Silver CV Jazz was my main bass for years and it really got the job done.

19. dukemcrae

dukemcrae

Sep 23, 2017
    lowdownthump likes this.
  20. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I'm still trying to figure out the whole mint green pickguard thing. I just can't believe someone at Squier sitting in a boardroom would say hey lets slap a mint green pickguard on this bass. Would look so much better with a white pearloid pickguard.

lowdownthump likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021