James Johnston Jazz Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    2i1358x.jpg 20170924_095718.jpg full.jpg

2. Pachap

Pachap

Jun 21, 2014
    Savannahstan, GA
    This is pretty creative!

Without looking at the website, is this bass is still on the lineup? If so, it's had a nice run. I remember when Squier anything was pretty much a joke, but we all know they are about the best deals around now. The signature models, the CVs, the VMs, all good stuff.

jd56hawk, lowdownthump and dukemcrae like this.
  3. dukemcrae

dukemcrae

Sep 23, 2017
    It's discontinued now, so only available in the used world now... but it' really is a quality bass! Exactly as you said, it used to be that Squier was cheap AND lousy, now they're just cheap! :)

chiefbeefloco and lowdownthump like this.
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Whereas I, personally, dig the minty guard, but that's "aesthetics" for you. Different strokes and all that. ;)

TrustRod, Ray Tripp and dukemcrae like this.
  5. alpan254

alpan254

Sep 2, 2013
    athens greece
    i have 69 fender jazz bass , 62 reissue road worn jazz bass mexico and p bass american standart 2011 ,but i have also the james jhonston squier jazz bass it is very nice instrument! i loved so much really nice sound to me sounds like really close to 69 jazzbazz

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  6. BlackDog Music

BlackDog Music

Oct 4, 2016
    Too late to join? I just managed to get one at my local music shop as a "backup" bass for gigging - boy, was I pleasantly surprised. It's all I've been playing the past two weeks...

lowdownthump and SonicDomination like this.
  7. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Never too late to join. These basses have been discontinued and are getting hard to find. Congrats on finding one.

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. BlackDog Music

BlackDog Music

Oct 4, 2016
    Awesome — anyone know where I can find a pickguard that fits? All the replacements seem to specify that they’re NOT for Squiers....

9. I purchased about a year ago. No pics since it is the lovely blue. I have owned USA jazz basses. This bass is amazing for the price. Quality is outstanding. I modified mine. Only modification was to replace the pups with Fender Custom Shop Hot 60's pups. Now, I can say confidently that this bass far exceeds the three USA Jazz basses that I have owned previously. Neck, frets, bridge, quality is outstanding!!! It is my favorite bass. I love it.

lowdownthump and BlackDog Music like this.
  10. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I got mine from a website called Guitar Parts Resource. But I think they stopped selling Squier pick guards. May have to have one custom made.

BlackDog Music likes this.
  11. BlackDog Music

BlackDog Music

Oct 4, 2016
    Ok - I think someone said that a Standard Jazz will ALMOST fit but it needs a little shave near the control panel plate - for $20 it might be worth it....

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. My pickguard is from d'andrea, it fits almost perfectly. You can use the existing holes without any problems!

13. donnyrocker

donnyrocker

Aug 5, 2014
    no commercial affiliations
    I bought a Fender replacement from GC and all the holes aligned ;)

14. donnyrocker

donnyrocker

Aug 5, 2014
    no commercial affiliations
    FWIW, This is my #1 bass.

I've upgraded the pickups (Fender J-bass are drop-in replacements), the controls (I think it's technically active), the tuners (Hipshot w Drop-D trigger for low E) as well as the pickguard (tortoise shell).

I have a Steinberger Synapse for the winter (it can snow heavily where I live and gig), and American P bass (great natural compression) and a Franken J with Carvin pickups/Badass bridge/Geddy Lee neck... so I have a few from which to choose ;)

15. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    One big seller will be happy to charge you $20 extra if you send them a tracing of your pickguard so that they can make a custom one for you. The funny thing is, their MIM Jazz pickguard is a perfect fit, right down to every single screw hole.
    I bought one for my Squier CV Jazz.
    I guess they don't know…they've only been in business for forty years.
    20180109_090937.jpg

16. BlackDog Music

BlackDog Music

Oct 4, 2016
    Hey, Kool Kats - the OP here.
    Yeah, I ended up just getting a $12 guard from one of the big box stores and had to do a little trimming with my handy Leatherman. I’ll post a pic if people want to see how it came out. I got the grey-ish-Black tort and I think it looks REALLY cool with the bass....

17. BlackDog Music

BlackDog Music

Oct 4, 2016
    Here she is with the modd’ed pickguard.... EEEFAE40-C666-46D4-A692-6EA2705B9645.jpeg

18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Looks great!
    I still haven't found one for the right price.
    I did find an incredible VM Jazz, though…always heard they were a step below the CVs but that's not necessarily so.

19. BlackDog Music

BlackDog Music

Oct 4, 2016
    Hey - as far as I’m concerned, if the bass feels/plays/sounds like what you want, get it (when the $$$ allows, of course). I don’t care much about the logo - I have had Gibsons, Fenders, Warwicks, custom made, Ernie Ball, short scale, long, $200 basses, $3,000 basses - if I don’t “gel” with it, then it sits in my closet. Right now my favorites are the James Johnston and an American Professional P. Why? Because when I’m not playing them, I want to be playing them. They’re just fun. And when I’m on gig, I need something that can do everything I need it to do with a minimal amount of fuss and bother.
    I guess what I’m trying to say is that in the final analysis, if you find that your experience with a particular bass is contrary what everyone else is saying, go with your experience, not what everyone else SAYS you should feel...

donnyrocker and jd56hawk like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021