James Johnston Jazz Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Feb 16, 2014.

1. donnyrocker

donnyrocker

Aug 5, 2014
    no commercial affiliations
    Precisely.

2. When were these discontinued? Just found one in a shop, and don't get paid till Thursday. Wondering how long it's been sitting on their wall.

3. Kallioniemi82

Kallioniemi82

Jun 28, 2018
    20180617_161657.jpg I bought mine last year and i have to say that it's wonderful bass to play!! and it looks great. I have modified it quite a lot. It has now third pickup. SG-bass kind of mudbucker.

Theres also 3-way pickup selector and positions are,
    1. jazz pickups
    2. all 3 pickups
    3. only mudbucker

When all 3 pickups are in use it sounds just awesome! and that i use the most :) And when i use only mudbucker the sound is really raw and attacking. When that is on you can see from guitarplayers face that ''what the hell happens?!'' :D

PS. Sorry my bad english :/

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    BassmanM and donnyrocker like this.
  4. Just picked up a NOS James Johnston Jazz(hangtag dated 2014). Pretty excited about my first brand new bass since 1992. IMG_20180628_145544.jpg

zbigniew and donnyrocker like this.
  5. So after fifteen years without bass, I bought a sweet squire CV 60s jazz bass in Inca silver yesterday. Can't wait to get playing again. I think I've caught a bit of gas because I'm loving the look of the James Johnston version. I'm going to watch these forums and the internet like a hawk and hopefully I can join the club. Not to soon tho, it would break my heart if one was available and I couldn't get it because budgets are real lol.

donnyrocker and zbigniew like this.
  6. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Well these basses have been discontinued. You may be able to find a used one on EBAY or Guitar Center. Good Luck

7. Yea it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Fortunately I'm patient. It will be fun keeping an eye out for one of these. I do the same thing with old french large frame racing bikes. I like picking out one highly specific thing in a genera.

8. Ray Tripp

Ray Tripp

May 7, 2018
    My beautiful James Johnston Squire bass during a break IMG_20181027_215530_542.jpg

pica, Malak the Mad and MCF like this.
  9. I have one too! Great build, neck, frets, Everything! However, I replaced the stock pups with Fender Custom Shop 60's Jazz pups. I now find myself playing my JJ way more than my US Jazz.

BassmanM and MCF like this.
  10. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I just got a $1200 Carvin/Kiesel but somehow always find myself playing my $350 James Johnston. o_O

11. donnyrocker

donnyrocker

Aug 5, 2014
    no commercial affiliations
    I play guitar in a different band and THAT bass player continually asks me why I play a Squier for may bass gigs (technically, it's once of three basses I own). "Because it's a good bass."

I have it hotrodded (active controls; upgraded Fender pickups; Hipshot tuners to include drop-D key), so it's an instrument that had its original mojo but continues to deliver the goods ;)

12. BlackDog Music

BlackDog Music

Oct 4, 2016
    Hey, kooky kids - IF I were to sell mine, what would people be willing to bid on it? I’m still really into mine, but things are looking pretty damn grim on the financial front, I’d rather keep it “in house” as it were. I’m set up with a Reverb site, so for ease I’d probably sell it through there (because I can take people’s credit cards, Paypal, even Affirm). Just floating this idea to see what’s reasonable - as always, I’d like to get what I can from it without being too greedy - but man, do I need the cash. Here’s a pic to remind people - it’s all stock except for the pickguard (and I can include the original)

Attached Files:

13. YalBass

YalBass

Apr 6, 2019
    Hi Everyone
    Just discovered your forum. I just got myself a second hand JJ with a SWR amp and extension cabinet.
    I have to admit I am more of a guitar player than a bass player but as i come close to my retirement I figured I would go all in and have one for my man cave...
    From reading you guys it seams that luck was on my side when I picked this base for $150 Canadian
    Anyhow could you recommend a good website to get me started on the bass
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks

14. BossOnBass

BossOnBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    You got a sweet deal! As far as getting started with bass this is an excellent site StudyBass - Free Online Bass Lessons

15. YalBass

YalBass

Apr 6, 2019
    Hi BossOnBass
    Thanks for your help !

16. Here's mine hanging with the siblings.

Attached Files:

17. fabyuri

fabyuri

Jul 18, 2019
    Hello,

I´ve been looking for a Squier James Johnston Jazz Bass - Lake Placid Blue for a while now and found 1 used here in Brazil, where I live. Yesterday it arrived and as soon as I started playing, something got my attention: the headstock painting kinda mismatched the body's. While the top still resembled Lake Placid, the down seemed greenish - sherwood green maybe. The previous owner claimed that the painting faded - since its a chinese squier crafted in 2011.

Is that even possible? Did you guys JJ owners notice sth like that? I fear that this one may be a 'frankenstein': Squier JJ headstock with some other body. I attach some pics so you could drop me a line in help - or support...

Attached Files:

18. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    It happens. Lake placid blue is known to do that. Exposure to sunlight. Olympic white yellows, silver turns green. Enjoy it!!

19. Franz N

Franz N

Mar 28, 2020
    Austria
    Hi, mine got also a little more green. (I was aware of it when I put it near my Fender also in Lake Placid blue.)
    But I like it, because I wanted always to have one of the Adam CLAYTON Fender Signiture in sherwood green!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    lowdownthump likes this.
  20. Franz N

Franz N

Mar 28, 2020
    Austria
    Is a JJ membership still possible?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021