James Johnston Jazz Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pica, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Franz N

Franz N

Mar 28, 2020
    Austria
    I will never forget the face of a friend of mine (well known bass player in my region for funk. He is really a God in slapping; owns the most expensive as Sandberg etc.). He checked some of my Fenders and as last my blue baby: James Johnston with matching headstock. When playing (plugged to my MARKBASS combo) he couldn't stop smiling, told me that's the best bass guitar he ever had in his hands! He was sure that's a Fender American Vintage 64 Jazz Bass, Lake Placid Blue for more than 2.000,- € ... (I didn't show him the lable) ... so he was that much surprised afterwards to have played a 400,- € Squier Artist Model From that time on he had a completely different mind!

Attached Files:

zbigniew likes this.
  2. Just thought I'd give you all a heads-up that there are two JJs on GC's Used Gear site at the moment, both in Dayton, Ohio. $650 each. I have no connection to the store or the basses.

jd56hawk likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    One has dot fret markers, one has blocks.
    Trying to calculate the odds.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  4. The "blocks" are decals.

jd56hawk likes this.
  5. I was a sucker for that headstock-matched look in Lake Placid Blue, always admired their inspirations from the early 60''s. I musta really been smitten, it was the first 4-string bass I've bought since the 80's.

Was entirely / totally gigable as it came, but I wanted to do a little customizing, so a pair of barely used Yosemites, a rewire to V-Bal-T, Aerodyne knobs, and a white PG and pickup covers, it was DONE:

DSCF4106.JPG

This is a dead steal for that much Jazz Bass. No, it won't replace a big ticket Fender or Fender-clone, but it's a wholelottabass for the $$, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

zbigniew and jd56hawk like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, I know.
    th-jpeg-29.jpg

Pet Sounds likes this.
  7. Zachiguess

Zachiguess Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Longshot here, but is anyone looking to sell their JJ bass?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021