1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

James Johnston series Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZAR14, Nov 13, 2017.

1. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    What are thoughts/opinions on the James Johnston series Squier Jazz Bass?

2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Fabulous bass if you can find one, can't go wrong.

Aqualung60, lowdownthump and ZAR14 like this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    It's a Classic Vibe.
    Classic Vibe basses are the best Squier has to offer.
    Same exact bass as this. 20170620_161518.
    Only difference is it's easier to find in Inca Silver, used or new.
    Hard to find the James Johnston. New is next to impossible unless some store somewhere has one that's been sitting around for the past year or more.
    Classic Vibe poduction has stopped.

Aqualung60 and lowdownthump like this.
  4. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    What's replacing the Classic Vibe line?

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    Looks like nothing is replacing it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Great basses. It’s a Classic Vibe. By the way , Music Go Round had a used one last week.

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've never been disappointed with anything I've owned from the Classic Vibe Series.

Not too long, James Johnston Jazz popped up on Guitar Center's used database for a very reasonable price. I'd say it was up there for no longer than twenty-four hours before someone beat me to it like the scurrilous dog they are snapped it up. :meh:

Aqualung60, Duder and lowdownthump like this.
  8. I guess Fender thinks that the gap between the Squier Classic Vibe and the Fender MIM is to narrow. They want people buying the MIM over the CV. Same thing that happened to the Highway One-line a couple of years back. They were to good =)

9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    JJ jazz is no longer in production, but,it is a great keeping jazz bass if you can find used one.

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Did some one here snag the one from Music Go Round last week?

11. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Same thing happens with the Classic Vibe 60’s and Matt Freeman Precision basses.
    Best thing to do is stash the cash , look everyday , morning noon and night, and be ready to push the buy now button when they pop up.

Duder likes this.
  12. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
  13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    Temporarily out of stock...until a used one pops up?
    I'm one of those guys who like Guitar Center but they often don't know what they're talking about.

Duder and lowdownthump like this.
  14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    That $500 Reverb offering has been there for months because it’s extremely over priced.

15. KokaKola

KokaKola

Jan 21, 2015
    Kalamazoo MI
    Ugh I used to have one of these, it was wonderful. As others have mentioned it's just a CV with a paint job. One of the many jazzies I tried and sold before I found my Geddy. I sometimes wish I could time travel and just put new pickups in the JJ though.

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Had a CV Jazz, great bass..only sold it cause I liked my MF P better.

It was good enough to teach me that I don't like Jazz basses.

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. J Wilson

J Wilson

Feb 18, 2017
    none
    I bought / own one. I've had it now for about 6 months, and am more than pleased, enough to where it's going to go full EMG in a few months. The stock pickups are remarkably good, and so far I've been unable to get any hum out of them. Bridge is plenty good enough. Been stable set-up wise. The keys work fine and hold pitch, but one of the few places where the MSRP shows: The nickel or chrome plate is OK, but the edges of the buttons are a little ragged in spots. I'll probably change them for looks, but functionally they're fine. Skinny frets, a lovely stripey rosewood board, but interestingly, the back of the neck is in Antique Clear. Basswood body and mine weighs 9 lbs. Old school neck, no skunk stripe, the truss rod dropped in the rout beneath the fingerboard, and I'm not sure it isn't a one-piece neck. Four bolts.

I've always wanted a few Squiers to use as mod-them-myself pieces as a cheaper way to build my own bass instead of going the Warmoth route, and loved this as I love the color and the matching headstock. It's good enough that it would be pointless FOR ME to buy MIM, and for paying four or five times the price for a USA, I doubt seriously it would be 4 to 5 times better for me. It's a steal for the price (I paid $399), and ridiculously good for that price point. Make no mistake, the wood quality, finish quality, etc., is not what you'd see in a 2 grand axe, but remarkable for the price I paid.

BTW, there are some very similarly equipped Squier Jazzes in silver that are still out there, and they look very similar spec-wise to the JJ, w/ the matching silver headstock.

Mine's going to transition to a white Pickguardian pickguard, the white alnico EMG J's, the EMG BTS with four Aerodyne knobs. My local tech will side drill it for the jack and add the 18v battery box. It will be quite the little hot rod !

lowdownthump likes this.