Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

James MacDonough has joined MegaDeth.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by snailplow, Oct 20, 2004.

1. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Most of you may already know this,but I figured I'd post it anyway.He's a good friend of mine and I was glad to hear he was chosen.
    This gig is going to show his true chops.Iced Earth was holding him back in my opinion.He's having to play with a pick because Dave Mustaine wants him too,but I think his talent will still shine through.
    Here's a link.

http://www.megadeth.com/

2. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Sounds like Dave Mustaine is being the control freak ******* that he appears to be.

Don't tell the bassist how to play!!!!! :bassist:

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    More freedom with mustaine?!?!? -if you say so....

4. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    No, I'm pretty sure Dave can tell how the bassist to play in this situation.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

Why?

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Dave = owner of the entity known as "Megadeth". If you want in, you probably have to abide by his rules. OTOH, and more confusingly, that doesn't not make him a dick though. ;)

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Strangely enough, I heard a story way back when Dave was notorious for getting in fights/feuds that he was backstage w/Steven Tyler and he introduced Dave to someone like, "This is Dave Mustaine, he is Megadeth." Dave said, "I'm IN Megadeth..." and Steven replied, "No no, You're Dave Mustaine, you're Megadeth, I"m Steven Tyler, I'm Aerosmith." And Dave flipped out on him...

.... or so I'm told!?

8. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I'm glad I got to see James MacDonough when he was in Iced Earth, he was awsome! I'm also happy because I get to see Megadeth this thursday :) , and I can't wait to see him play agian, but I'm a little sad to hear that he is using a pick.

9. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I heard the same thing over at the Deth forums. Whether or not it's true is beyond me though. Frankly, it sounds like something he'd do at the time, but you have to keep in mind that this was before Ellefson bailed on him, and quite possibly back when had a dream line up of sorts (RIP-era), and everything was a group effort of sorts. Compare that to now, and it wouldn't seem odd for him to have a change of heart.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm pretty sure it was Countdown Era... best lineup IMO.

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I definitely miss that lineup. RIP is one of the only two cassettes I had where the tape snapped in half from overuse.

The other was Def Leppard's "Hysteria". :bag:

12. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Exactly.

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Hysteria's no album worth hiding in the well for - it's a virtual classic of its era, and anyone who says otherwise obviously has no clue as to the "bottom of th barrel" hair farmers of the mid-to-late 80's. :rollno:

...the only two tapes I wore out were Hysteria and Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime". ;)

And as for Dave Mustine and his control issues? Sure, I'd join MD knowing full well I'd have little say in the music, production, touring, etc... even my lines or style of playing, as in picks vs. fingers. It's simply a matter of how much he'd have to pay me to deal with him. :D

14. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I figure he'd be an easy enough guy to get along with, but that's only if you do things his way.

15. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Damn Strait!

I'd probably join Megadeth just to get recognozed, get payed, and have enough money to start up my own thing and then become rich and famous, and do nothing my whole life except play bass.

I got it all planed out...oh yeah...high flying.

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    My condolences to James! I bet he quits within a year :bag:

17. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    im out of the loop, what happned to ellefeson? he was a bad mother.

18. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    From what I can tell, Dave had agreed at one point to hand over the Megadeth name/etc to Junior (Dave E). When Dave went into rehab and messed up his arm, he was under the impression that he'd never play again so he disbanded Megadeth rather than turning it over. A year or so later, Dave was back on guitar and writing for the new album. It was supposed to be a solo album but he owed one more Megadeth album on the contract so he titled it thusly. It's well known that he considers the RIP/Countdown albums and lineup to be Megadeth's overall best, so he contacted Junior and Marty, inviting them to be part of it. Marty wasn't interested in going back to metal at the time. Nick wasn't contacted because Dave wasn't sure he was physically up to the task. Junior was mad about the lack of handover when Dave disbanded the group and demanded more than Dave was willing to pay him, including publishing rights to the songs. When Dave didn't meet his price, Junior sued for the name of the band and they're still disputing it in courts as far as I know.

There have also been mentions that Junior wasn't up to the task as a player on any of the albums, and that extensive punching in and possibly the use of studio bassists had been involved in the past to make things 'work'. This could be Dave slinging mud, who knows?

19. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    From Mustaine's point of view, I guess Ellefson wanted more than his fair share of Megadeth's cut from the new tour. Then some other crazy stuff heppened that I don't remember, and Dave is suing Dave Jr. over some of the stuff that went down during the talks about the new record, I think. And I belive Ellefson is countersuing for slander over some things Dave posted oh the Deth forums. Someone else here probably has the full story, this is just a VERY VERY vague outline.

msquared has a better explanation thatn I do, although it seems like a bit is missing. This is brain wracking work :bawl:

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I read an article stating that Prince tells Rhonda Smith what type of bass to play.

If the band has one set leader and its his/her band, they have the right to tell the other musicians how/what to play.