1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

James Schumacher of Brocas Helm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DoomandHeavy, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Has anyone ever heard this madman? He's in the band Brocas Helm who have been around since the early 80's. The guy is a freaking BASS MONSTER! James also uses a really odd technique where he strums with his thumb which isn't that rare, but I've never seen a Metal bass player do it as much as him. So, who likes Mr. Schmuacher, or has even heard of him?

2. So no one has heard of this guy or Brocas Helm?

3. There's gotta be one Brocas Helm fan here, lets talk some bass!

4. jgrey

jgrey

May 27, 2009
    I've heard of him and agree with you about his acceptional abillities. I was an original member of Brocas Helm and was always amazed at his unique tallent for playing the bass. JGrey

5. I'm going to bump this thread one last time, just so everyone gets a chance to hear one of the greatest Heavy Metal bands of all time. Also, its an honor to be messaged by a member of Brocas Helm. CAN YOU HEAR THE BANSHEE SCREAM!

6. mikedubyamash

mikedubyamash

Jun 21, 2011
    time of the dark... EPIC intro led by this legendary man known as james shumacher. now i need to figure out how he does it. any tips? p.s. if you havent hear the song, look it up on youtube. i got into brocas helm when i played "brutal legend" and immediately got every album i could get my hands on, and these guys put the true spirit of metal on the soundwaves. if only i had em on vinyl...

7. mikedubyamash

mikedubyamash

Jun 21, 2011
    oh btw, sir john grey, i hope you never gave up on rockin bro. keep it alive

8. mikedubyamash

mikedubyamash

Jun 21, 2011
    i heard into battle btw and it sounded great, especially the breakdown and solo for dark rider, also i cant seem to find the details for why you left and what you did after, if you feel comfortable with telling me could you fill me in? assuming you see this sometime this decade lol. no pressure :) im a very unexperienced bassist trying to learn my own chops, i usually play guitar but i just like playing bass. when i play guitar its more modern metal like all that remains and darkest hour, but bass its more like schumaker and cliff burton, not liek i play like them but they are the biggest influences i have, musically. wiki says you guys didnt agree with the label in that they put an album cover you didnt agree with, what happened there?

9. GrooveRonin

GrooveRonin

Nov 20, 2011
    how does he get that tone on cry of the banshee? anyone know what is rigg is made up of?

10. CaptainBeefsNoSix

CaptainBeefsNoSix

Aug 10, 2015
    Hey, I think he uses a compressor .... crunch ... and ... I used a "hot fuzz" effect in guiatr rig. less middlestones and much treble ... but its noch 100 percent figured out. Especially i tried it for cry of the banshee. So you see the attachement ...

Maybe someone have a idea to get it better sound like schuhmachers config?

Cheers captain

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015