Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

James Williams MARCH 8, 1951 - JULY 20, 2004

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    James Williams passed away last night from liver cancer.

Pianist, composer, bandleader, educator . . . nice guy . . .

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how sad

:(

i really liked his playing on that album "Album of the Year"... i think it was Art Blakey

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Man, I didn't see THAT coming. RIP,JW...

4. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's a big loss for music.
    I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, but I've been told that the recording engineer David Baker also passed away recently.

5. Dick Them

Dick Them

May 8, 2004
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Endorsing Artist : Ampeg amplifiers
    I´m really sad to hear that. I took part in a seminar in Barcelona, Catalonia, in 1992, where he was a teacher and I can only say that it was a privilege to meet him.Thanks, Mr Williams !

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    David Baker!?! Man I got about a million records that he engineered. Mike, do you got confirmation of that?

7. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    My only confirmation on David Baker is from two independant sources who say they knew him. I've searched google but haven't found anything yet.

8. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    There's an article about David Baker's death on allaboutjazz.com. He was only 58.

Yeah, that sucks about James Williams. He was such a nice guy and incredible player. I saw him a few weeks back at Elvin Jones' Memorial and he sounded great in a duo with a gospel singer. He did look frail, though.