Jamey Aebersold advice..

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by davegr8house, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Hello All,
    I wish to persue Jamey Aebersold Jazz Play-a-long Books with CD`s. I understand them to be very well wrote out and great to practice with and learn from. My question is which books do you guys advise me to get. I want some fun ones but also some that will make me think. I think my teacher might also use these as learning tools along with Simandl and the loose sheets he brings out from time to time if he sees I have an intrest in them. I am working on Saint Saens "The Elephant" at this time. I am on the Intermediate Position between V. and VI. Position in Simandl at this time if that helps you in what skill level I`m in. I live in the Nashville Area and can not find Aebersold Books anywhere beleave it or not. So if you can give a online store that provides them I thank you. Have a good day.

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off...
  2. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    I have also used many aebersold books and someone told me to check out Band-In-A-Box which is a software, mine must be version 9 or 10 I am not sure, I have to say is very impresive, great tool.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've bought quite a few of these and they can be great fun as well as useful for serious practising. There are a few like "Getting it Together" and the ones that has all the major and minor scales, which are seriously useful.

But otherwise, my view is to choose artists you really like and then buy the books associated with them. This will motivate you much more than something that you just see as an exercise and means that if you get to jam with other people, you can give them the parts as well and play something that you want. It's always embarassing if people say - "what shall we play?" and nobody says anything. If you can actually provide parts for horn players etc. then you are more likely to get asked back!

So, I am a big fan of Freddie Hubbard's and Horace Silver's small groups from the 60s (to name but two as an example) and bought the books with the tunes I liked. This seems to be the most sensible approach to me.
  4. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've not used them, but Jamey's website offers a proposed curriculum for going through the books.

Something else that you may want to do if you can is to go to the jazz camp at the beginning of July. It's an intensive and exhausting week, but you'll learn a lot and have fun (plus you'll be able to stock up on books at discounts you won't find elsewhere... they're the only place I've seen the New Real books sold for under $38 each.

5. Thanks Guys,
    I placed an order from Jazzbooks.com and looking forward to it. I did not realize there were as many vol. as there were. I was a little taken back by the selection. I chose Vol. 40 "I beleave it was?". Has several standards and has a few Favs. I`m sure much of it will be over my head but thats the whole point right? Thanks again...Later

If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off...
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I own about 60 of these volumes (don't be too impressed with the sheer number - once you start teaching at the summer camps, Jamey sends out all of the new ones gratis), and one thing that I can tell you is that each rhythm section has its own "feel", and you may discover over time that you like the feel of some rhythm sections better than others. This preference always steers me toward certain volumes and away from others when I practice.

I find that for my jazz students, I require all of them to buy at least vols. 3 and 21...these are kind of jazz "etude" books which are great for working on particular skills which will be useful across the board. After that, I use various ones for repertoire purposes, and generally avoid the ones where the feel of the rhythm section annoys me (and this is true even of specific tunes on the same playalong). If you'd like any thoughts on which ones to get/avoid based on my assesment of the R.S. feel, feel free to PM me and we can talk.