Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamey Aebersold

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bcarll, Jul 27, 2002.

1. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Has anyone here ever used any of Jamey Aebersold playalongs? Please give your opinion on them and what volumes you found useful for bassists.

bcarll

2. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    I think they are very good - I actually occasionally listen to them just to listen.
    The musicians are first class.

3. I've used em before. Very cool. I gained a lot of good beginning knowledge with em.

Recommened.

4. Lipis Roman

Lipis Roman

Mar 5, 2002
    USA
    I've got a bunch of the Aebersold Play-Alongs that I use on a regular basis, I think they're great practice tools.

Vol. 21 "Getting it together", Vol. 3 "The II-V7-I Progression" and Vol. 90 "Odd Times" are the ones I work out of the most. I don't think I'll ever get tired of them, there's so many ways to use them.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If you're just getting started, Volumes 54 and 70 are particularly good because they keep moderate tempos throughout, and because bassline transcritpions of Tyrone Wheeler's basslines are available for both volumes. My personal favorite is Vol. 41 because of the tune selection and rhythm section.

6. I just ordered Vol. 1, even though I'd like to think I've advanced past it, and Vol. 21, which I know will be extremely helpful.

7. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I have the "II V7 I" and the "Nothing But Blues". Don't know the volume #'s off the top of my head. I LOVE those things and highly recommend them! There is no better way to develop both grooving and soloing. When I first started on the fretless a number of years ago, they really helped me develop my intonation.

8. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Vol. 6 - "All Bird" - very essential in my opinion.

9. check out number 15 - Payin' Dues. It has some classic jazz standards (There'll Never Be Another You, Stella, What is This Thing Called Love, Cherokee, etc) and the (great) bass is performed by none other than Ron Carter!!

A MUST for the intermediate jazz player.

Other good ones are #40 and #25 for the tunes. #54 is good for beginners.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    In my collection, I regularly use:

• Vol. 1 - How to Play Jazz and Improvise. A good book. It spends a little bit too much time on Dorian in my opinion. The book almost seems to say that whenever you see a minor chord, voice it as a dorian scale. However, the ideas, both rhythmically and melodically, it gives you for practicing scales, are well worth it.
    • Vol. 2 - Nothin' But Blues. Nice book. Fun melodies and good blues examples.
    • Vol. 3 - The ii-V7-I Progression. Great book. Exercises in this classic progression for every key. A great workout.
    • Vol. 24 - The Major and Minor in Every Key. So many great exercises, so little time.
    • Vol. 48 - Duke Ellington. Very fine tunes.
    • Vol. 56 - Thelonious Monk. Great Monk tunes. "Well You Needn't," "In Walked Bud," "I Mean You," "Rub, My Dear," "'Round Midnight." The Aebersold "Monkish" tunes are sometimes cheesy, sometimes not.
    • Vol. 70 - Killer Joe. Great selection of tunes. "Mr. P.C.," "Sweet Georgia Brown," "The Girl From Ipanema," "Killer Joe," etc.