Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamie Foxx, Is it just me????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LajoieT, Jan 27, 2006.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Or is this guy GOOD???? I hardly ever listen to the radio, but I was the other day and thought the song was pretty good and the voice sounded familiar, and after the break they said it was him. Now tonight I'm flipping channels and he's singin' with some lady and doing DAMN good. The man can sing just as good as he can act!!!!

Or am I being duped or loosing my mind???

2. I think he is a talented guy, but I have mixed feeling about his music.

The first time I heard him sing was on his HBO stand up show. It is a few years old but it still gets replayed on occasion. Through out the show he was doing some imitations and singing then at the end of his act he got behind the piano and sang quite well. Other than that, I found out he went to Julliard from watching the making of Ray the movie.

I really can't give an true opinion because I only heard him once with his new album on one of the late night shows. The song just sounded real familiar and I didn't think much of the writing.

So yea, I think he is definitely talented, he can sing. I just didn't think much of his composition. Could be wrong though, I only listen to that one song but it didn't make me want to go out and pick up the CD.

Just IMO of course.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yep. Amazing singer, his songs are really cheesy though. But heartfelt, so... I don't know.... mixed feelings for sure.

4. the only song from his album i like is the one with Common... and i think its because commons on it.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Check out "Ray". What a great movie. He is a multi talented guy.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Isn't that what they said about Mr. Charles for a while, too? ;)

I haven't heard him sing outside of "Ray," but I'd like to hear more -- he did most certainly sound good.

7. Yea, great movie by the way. It's not exactly what I meant though.

With Ray they said he sounded like his influences, Nat King Cole and Charles Brown. Foxx's music to me just sound like a lot of other modern R&B'ish stuff out there, but the songs didn't particularly jump out and grab me.

Again, this is all from the one song I have heard, so could be way off base. The impression I got was he probably wrote and performed all his music.

My totally inexperienced, self delusional opinion is that he should team up with a writer or producer that will squeeze out the talent he has. He is a talented actor\comedian, as a musician he is a diamond in the rough.

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Being a classically trained pianist helps. The man is talented but I can't help but flash back to the characters he used to do on "In Living Color". It's hard to take him seriously... almost to the same point as when Eddie Murphy tried singing.

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm not sure that's even an "almost".

I doubt there would be any debate at all on this board as to the singing talents of Eddie Murphy.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not even Rick James could save Eddie. :D :D

11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    *sings to self* my girl parties all the time, parties all the time, parties all the time.....:rollno:

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I figured you meant that :D. It could be possible that it's just his most radio-friendly track. A lot of those Top 40 vapid radio-friendly singles are often nestled in albums with a lot of musical substance and talent. I haven't heard Jamie's single or his album, though.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry but Eddie occupies a special place as far as singing goes. Thanks to you, I now have "Potty all the time" stuck in my head... again:mad:

OTOH Foxx can actually sing vs. the mimicing Eddie does. Unfortunately Foxx sounds like a ton of other modern R&B guys, nothing remarkable. He's good... in a generic way. He'll be successful at singing, nothing remarkable is usually required.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    anyone else watch his sitcom from 10 years ago?

he sang one time during that show, and i was thoroughly impressed.

and regarding in living colour, he did the "i'm gonna rock yo' world" character, right? *shudder*

15. He must have already figured that out, Bassist Extraordinaire Ricky Minor is his Producer and band Director. All the players on his recent appearances are A list players including Ricky on Bass and some of the same cats (Most) that Ricky has put together in the American Idol Band (he is the band director and Musical Supervisor on there as well)...The NBC Jamie Foxx Special that was on the other night credited Ricky as the Executive Producer of the Show if I am not mistaken.....by the way, Jamie is a multitalented guy, as mentioned he actually started out as a pianist, a LOT better vocalist than most of the garbage out there right now as well...my hat is off to him. He came up really hard and his grandma raised him since he was a kid so he has not had the easy life for sure. I think he has earned everything he has. I met him over a lunch with some mutual friends at the China Grill on South Beach (Edit- this was a few years ago) and he seemed like a genuinely down to earth person to me.

Peace,

T