Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamin'

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Went to a jam last night and I came away feeling like " ok. I really need to improve." There was a blues jam going on that I felt like guy who never took lessons. In fact I'm pissed off that the F&*#ing lessons werent enough for me to feel comfortable playing the BLUES. I mean C'mon. I know the blues arent that difficult but I coudnt get away from the root all night. There was a bass player there who gave up his seat for me that was fantastic. He didnt settle on the root. He didnt over play either. I just felt like a dope. Like a kid that joins a baseball game but has only played catch with his dad before.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

You should of forced yourself off of the root even you think you won't sound good, you'll be surprised. It's just a jam, it's the best place to make mistakes and learn from them, and become better at improv.

3. I know your right!! Thats another problem.

4. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    My first jam was just horrible. I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and it didn't help to have a leader who was always talking about how there's always one person that ruins a jam, and never called out chord progressions or even key centers. Needless to say, it wasn't a very comforting experience, but soon after I was jamming away with my friends.
    Like Jazzin' said, don't worry about experimenting and pushing yourself when appropriate during a jam - I think you'll soon see that you have improved a lot as a player.

5. OK. How about maybe I need a good list of some standard blues jams that I can study. Can any one add to this: Muddy Waters, 'Got My Mojo Workin' and thats it for me.

6. Jazzin'

Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker (or almost any other blues artist)

7. Boom,Boom. Exellent.
    The songs are key. Ill figure out the artists. Thanks.

8. Jazzin'

Matchbox Blues
    Ain't That Just Like A Woman
    You Shook Me
    The Thrill Is Gone
    Let the Good Times Roll
    Roadhouse Blues
    1 Burbon, 1 Scotch, 1 Beer
    The Sky Is Crying
    Crossroads Blues
    Pride And Joy

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    youngspanion: How long have you been playing? Even if you've been playing for 20 years, it doesn't mean that you can't/won't improve. Don't be so hard on yourself, man - it's hard as hell to make improvements when you shoot holes in your own level of confidence.

Just take it slow, set goals and do what you need to do to improve. You're taking the right first step by at least seeking some advice here.

10. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Have Fun.

I used to beat myself up whenever I didn't think I sounded perfect or if I caught my self making a mistake or even if I was nervous.
    -Growler

11. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    It happens... A few years ago I went to one of these open blues things... Played 12 bar blues with a 1-3-5-b7 pattern with VERY few variations. Thinking back it makes me cringe... But hey, you'd be suprised how easy it is to switch everything around. I listened to a lot of jazz stuff for inspiration. Most of those guys avoid the root at all costs... I just had to tweak the lines a little (learned after playing blues like it was jazz at the same place) Now, I know how to walk well... Anyway best of luck! I'm sure you'll fix it up right away, just have fun with it!

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    There is your mistake right there. The blues are difficult if you are not going to be boring.

I sure know I have a long way to go. I have my two or three stock blues patterns that get me through the one blues jam song that the average rock or country band will play. But for an entire set I would be up <rhymes with Brad Pit> creek.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Everytime I jam, I realize I'm the greatest bass player ever.

14. Don't worry, that just means you're paying attention... The people that DON't think they need to improve.... never do.

No need to be down on yourself, though. No matter how good you get, there are people out there that make you feel like you can't find your a$$ with both hands. That's good, keeps you motivated to scratch and claw your way to the next level. You never want to get too satisfied with your talent lest you stop accumulating more....

Randy

15. Thanks all. Very much.

16. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    You gotta have fun and not go to hrd on yourself BUT at the same time learn from this.

PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE

Thats the difference in a bass player and someone who 'can play bass' ...... be a bass player. Musicians who are worth their salt notice these things and can appreciate someone even when they are young in the game. I have been so grateful for the times that I found myself surrounded by guys who were out of my league but patient (of course I did exactly what you are doing-- I felt inadequate).

Check this out: the guys that were jerks in those situations (and there have been a couple of course) have to sit in the audiance now while I gig regularly. Attitude is huge.

Thats my 2 cents