Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamiroquai DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ceeprm, Jan 7, 2003.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Has anybody seen the Jamiroquai DVD?- I got it the other day- a nice bit of playing form Mr Fyffe who has definately gone up in my estimation.
    PM

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't think it's out in the States yet. I have a couple of the gigs on VHS (Tokyo & Toronto). Nick was playing a white Zon 5 at the time. I think Nick is an excellent player. Jay should let him have as much free range as Lord Stu had sometimes.

3. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Was it you that said that one of your fav basslines was "high times"? cos Nick plays it really well on the DVD adding his own flavour to it- he should be playing it on a Warwick though!!! - he definately dosn't have as good a sound as Mr Zender....

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I would prefer it if you could get one with Stuart Zender.

5. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Talking of Stuart Zender- I think he was on Jools Holland on New years eve with Mrs Dynamite- didnt see it cos I was largin it up in the Edinburgh but I got I taped for me- shall get it soon...

6. Bruce Lindfield

No - it wasn't him! I did record it an have watched it since - don't know who it was (regular band member?) but certainly not Zender!!

7. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Arse! - Ive seen Stu play on Top of the Pops and play (mime) on an upright on T4 with Mrs D maybe he was too busy posing for OK magazine or somethin....

8. Bruce Lindfield

I can remember him being on "Later" with Jamiroquai - they were some of the best sessions on the programme. There is a "best of" Later DVD, just released, but this doesn't feature!! :(

Maye I should write to the BBC?

9. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Who all is on the Later DVD? I've got quite a good collection of them on video but I would buy it if Jill Scott was on it- which I was gutted about missing... There always good bassists on Jools

10. Bruce Lindfield

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I reckon Jools Holland himself is reason enough not to buy the DVD! :D (that and the fact that I don't own a DVD player!). I don't watch his show that often, but he's had a few good guests that I've seen, but he annoys me.

12. Bruce Lindfield

There have been some great live peformances though - although the DVD has not been chosen with great bass playing in mind - I can't remember any on this. Radiohead were exciting .....

I was talking to Dave Barnard, who played bass with Terry Callier on the show and they were very annoyed with Jools Holland as he insisted their regular piano player drop out in favour of him - thus depriving them of an integral part of their sound! :rolleyes:

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah. I don't like the way he sits in on piano, and basically wanks all over their songs! I don't like his piano playing.

14. Bruce Lindfield

That's probably why Jamiroquai wasn't included - as Jay Kay told him to get stuffed!! ;)

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, yeah! Imagine Jools sitting in with Jamiroquai... it'd be awful!

16. Bruce Lindfield

Imagine the argument when Jools asked!! :D

Two complete control-freaks pitted against each other!!

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I also have the Milano gig from '93 with a young 19 year old Stu, and it's insane watching his playing then. I have 2 VHS tapes with Stu and 2 with Nick.

ceeprm: Nick adds an octave lick in the chorus to High Times that is sweet.

18. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Where did you get yer bootlegs from- you been hanging around dodgy streets? Did I read somewhere that you had the AZUR album...?

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I have high friends in low places. ;)

20. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I think that Zender was in the video for Ms Dynamite's 'Dy-na-mi-tee' (or whatever it was called!) - he was playing a violin bass, but you never got a completely clear shot of him. Ms Dynamite's current bassist is a well-known UK session player, Michael (can't remember his surname - was featured in 'Bassist' article on session work). He plays a Yamaha TRB6PII and acoustic bass - I can remember seeing him on 'Later... with the Lighthouse Family.

Ex-Jamiroquai guitarist Simon Katz is now Ms Dynamite's regular guitarist, and was also in the video with SZ.