Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamiroquai-Zender

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Wow. I just got some free cds and I ordered 3 Jamiroquai cds--holy. This Stu Zender kid is amazing. I love this stuff.

How in the heck does a kid get so good? I am completely envious and I SUCK!!

Wow.
    Love it.
    Return of the Space Cowboy is in right now. I also have Synkronized and A Funk Odessy.

Cannot wait to Ipod them.

2. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Yeah, he is great - tone, feel, choice of notes - you name it! Of course, you DO realise he only plays on 'Return of The Space Cowboy' out of the albums you mentioned, right?

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Check out Emergency on planet earth and be prepared to be blown away. One of my favourite bassists, and I jam along with the first two albums on daily basis.

4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    The zender stuff as far as i know is

1) emergency on planet earth (minus we're too young to die")
    2) return of the space cowboy (minus the title track)
    3) traveling without moving

I've been a BIG fan of his for a while now. The two trax he wasn't on above can be found here....

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=stefano

This is the video version of "return of the..." and the live zender version of "we're too young..." Zender truly is a monster on all of this material! Most of his lines were either improvised in the studio, or basic parts hummed to him Jay Kay.

5. yes, I just figured that out. All bassists are great.

6. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Well, there you go! I have to disagree with that, Dan :D but I think I know what you mean (as in : the other Jamiroquai bassists are great). I think all the albums have great grooves etc.
    But I just like the Zender-era better for the sound of the bass itself- I think it's more raw and earthy. Also, there is a lot more space (no pun intended) in the tunes than some of the later heavily (over-)produced stuff.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    And also Deeper Underground. He plays his Stage 1 5 through an Ashdown combo. He left the band shortly after recording this, and as you all know, he's my main influence and one of the reasons I'm signed to Warwick.

8. yeah, he is the reason i even looked at warwick basses...but then after looking at the price tag, i had to go back to rondomusic.com :)

but he does have the perfect tone for that band imo...just awesome!

9. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    Ok kiddies - name dropping time :bag:

I met Nick Fyffe at the Bass Centre while he was with Jamiroquai - nice guy, nice player. He popped in before a trip with the band to Tokyo (or somewhere in the Far East!). Hard life or what...

10. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I can tell you now, Nick ain't doing as well as you might think since he's been replaced by the massively talented Paul Turner...Nick's playing was alright...but Paul's playing is Massive.

Nick's currently out of work...last session work he had (I think) was with the UK Dance Outfit The Shapeshifters. He toured with Hard Fi for a while in the U.S because their Bassist was refused entry to the Country as he had previous drugs charges.

Zender is currently working with his Band Leroi, who I believe got signed by EMI recently. Leroi itself is a massive departure from Stuart's stuff with Jamiroquai, but all the same it's not too bad. Check out Leroi's MySpace site at http://www.myspace.com/leroimusic

11. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    He comes across as a nice guy. (Name dropping - pitiful :help: )

Although if I'm being brutally honest his playing could seem a little samey - but I like it. Hope he gets a gig soon.

Later.

12. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I liked Nick's playing, but I think a lot of the staunch Zender fans didn't (understandably I suppose). Hopefully he'll get back on his feet soon and get some work.

A little off topic but you're a Sei owner? Man, lovely Basses! Came close to buying one from the Gallery last year...someone I know's recently just had one made for him.

13. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
  14. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i couldnt have said it better. :) Zender is the man!

15. Hey SethLow

If Stuart Zender didn't play the title track on Return of th space Cowboy who did? I've always thought that was Stu and it's one of my all time favourite basss lines.

I'll have tog o home and check the liner noes I guess. Cheers

Ben

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Even though I'm a huge Zender nut, I liked Nick's playing. I got to hang with him during the Atlanta stop on his first tour with the band, and he's a VERY nice guy. I hope he gets something going soon.

17. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    The only thing you'll find in the liner notes is a mysterious 'Mr. X' who Stuart admits played one the album version of Space Cowboy. People have speculated as to who it might be...various session Bassists that claim to have played with Jamiroquai over the years.

My money, however, is squarely on Randy Hope Taylor. Sounds like him as well...to be honest I prefer the album version of Space Cowboy, it's a bit more fun.

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It had something to do with Zender not being able to make the sessions (something with his wife) and JK hiring another bassplayer. Maybe Mike Flynn knows a bit more.

19. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Zender's own words ;) :-

"I did not play the album version of Space Cowboy. It’s a kind of sore spot for me because at the time we had finished the album and I had planned a holiday with my then girlfriend. We were coming to the end of our relationship and I wanted to try and get some closure. Jay then told me that we were to go into the studio to record an album version of the single on the date I was supposed to leave. We went to a cafe and had a heart to heart and I was sure he understood why I had to go and see her. My heart was breaking. The holiday was actually planned a month before the new session was booked. Anyway, he informed me that it was cool and that we would work something out. Well needless to say when I arrived back in town he had got another bass player in to play with the band on that version...Mr. X. It was a double whammy for me because I learned on my holiday that my girlfriend had an affair wih someone else.....bogus huh! This was the beginning of the end for me, for I had always looked up to Jay and then, to have him do that really hurt. I do however understand that he had to do what he had to do. It was after all his band."

Like I mentioned, if you check inside the Return of The Space Cowboy cover, you'll find Mr. X in the credits.

20. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Wow, where did you get that quote from?