Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamiroquai's Latest

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Christopher, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Anyone have advance word on who's doing bass duties on the latest album? Any good?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Don't expect a Zender-like prescence. Everything is drowned in effects, or doubled by keys. SOME of the songs are decent, but...... Take from a fan since '93, I'm not too pleased with this, or the last album. Nick's a good bassist, but he's basically there to do Jay's bidding, and nothing more. :mad:

3. I don't know if the album is out as of now, but the other day I was talking on the phone to a friend of mine who somehow downloaded the album before it came out. I listened to bits and pieces of the entire album and it seems like they are moving further away from the "JAM"iroquai concept. It sounded very "Acid Jazzy" (whatever that's supposed to mean;)) Basically, it seems more like a "dance" album than the soulful, funky style that everyone here likes them for.

When Synkronizer came out, I rushed out and bought it, but I'm not even sure if I'll get this one.

4. I 1st heard Jamiroquai when they were still signed to Acid Jazz. Their 1st album was a breath of fresh air: JK had this amzing Wonder-like voice, the bass was raw and groovy and they produced modest, yet exceptionally good funk songs.

I think the 2nd and 3rd albums are just more of the same - I got bored with JK, his voice and his song writing style. You could have swapped any of the tracks from those 3 albums, thre was no development of their sound.

The new bassist, Nick Fyffe, is a damned good player. We went to the same college about 10 years ago, so I've was intersted to hear the album to hear how he played now.

IMO the new album is a great direction for Jamiroquai to take. It is beautifully produced, with so many great/weird instruments and effects. There's just so much going on, yet the songs are very, very simple.

The bass on the new album is also very good... and to say that NF is there to do JKs bidding is complete rubbish. It's simple, effective and funky.

Nick Fyffe was not famous before he joined Jamiroquai. He was like you or me. The question is:
    How would you go about joining a world-famous band for their 5th album? Would you walk in there, stamp your style all over the place and tell them whats what?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I have no problem with your opinion. It just depends on what you like. Trust me on the "doing Jay's bidding" part. It's true. Do I know them? Yes. Am I close to the situation? Sort of. Case in point: Nick HATES Warwick basse, he told me that himself. Jay loves them, and "suggested" that he get one. He did. I've had bandleaders "suggest" that I get an Alembic. I told them to go to hell. And still kept the gig. That's just the how I see it. I hated Synkronized when it first came out, but after listening to it for the first time in months, I kind of like it now. It's a good album. Maybe this new will grow on me too.

6. Fair enough, you're probably right. Although that is only one incident.

That said, it is a BIG gig, I'd play a lime green BC rich for that amount of cash. Wouldn't you?

For interest, Where are you from? How do you know Nick-F? I havn't seen him for years, not since he was in Funk Assembly, I think?

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I'd love to get a tape of Funk Assembly's music! I met him during the Synkro Tour, and have kept in touch when I could. Same with Toby and Stu whom I met years ago. My man in Germany with Warwick also keeps me in the loop, and in touch with the people that I'm a fan of. Don't get me wrong, Nick is a MUCH better bassist than people give him credit for, and I think that he has a good stage presence. I wish Jay would let him do his thing. Stu once said that Jay drew little X's on the stage, and made the band stay in those spots. You're right, it IS a sweet gig to land. As for the BC Rich, it depends on the sound and, whether or not I had to wear spandex as well! :eek:

8. So do you work for Warwick?

Funk Assembly played at my a mate of mines birthday party, 4 or 5 years ago. I think that was the last time I saw Nick. It was mad seeing him on the Top Of The Pops recently performing Little L!!!!

Regarding the X marks on the stage. That's a bit tight I must admit, but then they are a very slick band. JK is the focal point of the group, I can understand why he wants to keep everything strict, it makes for a very professional & consistent image I suppose?

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Oh I agree, but it would take some time to get used to that. They are very well rehearsed, that's for sure.

10. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Dunno about the new guy (Nick?) as I find his parts so buried in the mix its hard to make out what he's playing however I loved the 'rawness' of the Emergency on Planet earth album, Stuart kicked arse on that one (although didnt another bassist play on one of the tracks..I cant remember the name of it off hand but it had a really funky Octave vamp thing going on it).

I think its a matter of getting used to new musicians which is hard when your used to their predecessors..case in point I loved Randy Hope Taylors work with incognito and it took me a while to get used to Julian Crampton(sp) a fabulous bassist in his own right but with a totally different approach and sound than Randys.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Andrew Levy from the Brand New Heavys played on the first single. I agree with on Julian Crampton, although I was already a fan of his for his work on Basia's albums

12. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    ANDREW LEVY??? are you serious,...wow, I always loved that bass line but I find the stuff he does with Brand New Heavies leaves me cold, damn I never would have said it was the same player.

(mind you that Dynamic/Envelope filter bass lick he does in the album version of 'midnight at the oasis near the end kicks serious arse)

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The weird thing about Andrew is, when you hear him live, you say to yourself, "Damn! Why didn't he do that on the album?!" Listen to the differences in the recorded and live versions of "Stay This Way".

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's a shame. Guess I'll go listen to "Action Figure Party" for the 4000th time.

Where can I find a live album of Brand New Heavies? Have they done one?

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    They don't have a live album, per se. I have bootlegged live recordings. My fave being the Radio 1 broadcast from Glaskow.

16. I have an mp3 copy of 2001, a funk odyssey.. I personally find it refreshingly retro, much like disco albums of old.. Suffice to say I give it the thumbs up... The bass is very effective in my mind, but i am hardly an expert...

peace

Mikey

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    None of us are. It's all in what you like. At first, I hated the bass in "Sykronized", but after I listened to it a few times, I started to like it. This new album is going to take ages to grow on me. :rolleyes:

18. I dont have much to say.. Only that the actual bass player for jamiroquai used to play jamiroquai songs at a bar or something with his band..

I stopped liking jamiroquai after Traveling without moving..

19. I know what you mean about getting used to new band members. I'm one of a billion-billion chili pepper fans now, except that i got into them when there 3rd album (uplift mofo party plan) came out in '87.

The only RHCP album I dont own is One Hot Minute - Dave Navarro just doesnt suit the peppers in my opinion and although there are some brilliant songs on the album I just cant get over the different sound.

On bootsy collins studio albums alot of his bass gets lost in the mix. I'm very much into funk and in my experience it doesnt neccessarily have extra loud and clear bass. I quite like bass when it's not so obvious.

20. I happen to like Nick's playing...He is very consistent and solid...I really like the songs on the first album, but Oh man, I just find the bass tone horrible! This is just my opinon. It sounds like he is plucking too hard and losing all his bottom end and distorting...On the second album, the bass playing seems to be the main focus, I love it, and bass players all seem to love it too. I think Stu's playing on TWM was awesome. Great lines, a cleaner sound...At first i didn't like Synkronized...But oh man, if I am gonna listen to synth bass, that's some really cool synth bass that their keyboardist lays down...and the tracks that Nick played on were great. The new one, IMO, Is great. I love the new production standards. Sometimes, I just love to put a cd on with headphones and hear something new everytime-this is one of those CDs. Nick is Amazing on this one, and it is obvious that the man has loads of talent.