1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jammed through a New SWR Goliath III today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, May 26, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I went to a jam session and the guy who was running it said that I could use his cab, a new Golliath III. I took my iAMP 800 head and jammed all afternoon. you have to understand that I'm pretty much an Eden guy, and I'm not to keen about SWR cabs. I tried the early SWR cabs and was not impressed. I've always preferred Eden cabs.

Well, I gotta say that these new Goliaths sound great! lots of bottom, nice mids, and crisp high end - without being too brittle. Good Stuff!

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hi Gfab,

That's cool, man. I use a couple of Gol 3 Jrs. and I am pretty happy with them. They're light, have a good low-end response, and glassy highs. I turn down the tweeters quite a bit. I bought them for their size and weight (the Eden XLT won't fit in my trunk), price, and a tone I can live with. It's actually grown on me: good lows, glassy high.

There are so many boutique cabs out now that SWR is relegated to the status old-hat sometimes, but I've liked them better than acme lowb2, eden XLT, aggie 1x12, and bag end 1x15, for what it's worth.

The Eden XLT I had was actually a bit too punchy for me. Man, it was really present, but I think SWR is a bit smoother and a little more to my liking. The eden XST sounded *really* good to me in the shop, but those are kind of expensive. The aggie 10's are really cool, but are pretty heavy like Eden.

I'm not as big a fan of SWR amps. That's a different story though.