Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jammed through a New SWR Goliath III today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, May 26, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I went to a jam session and the guy who was running it said that I could use his cab, a new Golliath III. I took my iAMP 800 head and jammed all afternoon. you have to understand that I'm pretty much an Eden guy, and I'm not to keen about SWR cabs. I tried the early SWR cabs and was not impressed. I've always preferred Eden cabs.

Well, I gotta say that these new Goliaths sound great! lots of bottom, nice mids, and crisp high end - without being too brittle. Good Stuff!

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hi Gfab,

That's cool, man. I use a couple of Gol 3 Jrs. and I am pretty happy with them. They're light, have a good low-end response, and glassy highs. I turn down the tweeters quite a bit. I bought them for their size and weight (the Eden XLT won't fit in my trunk), price, and a tone I can live with. It's actually grown on me: good lows, glassy high.

There are so many boutique cabs out now that SWR is relegated to the status old-hat sometimes, but I've liked them better than acme lowb2, eden XLT, aggie 1x12, and bag end 1x15, for what it's worth.

The Eden XLT I had was actually a bit too punchy for me. Man, it was really present, but I think SWR is a bit smoother and a little more to my liking. The eden XST sounded *really* good to me in the shop, but those are kind of expensive. The aggie 10's are really cool, but are pretty heavy like Eden.

I'm not as big a fan of SWR amps. That's a different story though.