Jammin' with Zep Heads

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jcadmus, Dec 31, 2002.

1. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I jammed with a guitarist and drummer formerly of a Led Zep tribute band on Saturday.

And I mean to tell you , these guys were Zeppelin freaks.

I've been a Zep fan since back in the day, but geez louise, they were throwing tunes at me that I hadn't heard in more than 20 years.

Achilles Last Stand? What the...?

It was all I could do to keep up.
  2. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    blasphomy!!!! :D

"Achilles Last Stand" is by far and away one of my favorite Zep tunes ever.

Sounds like good times, man.
  3. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yeah, I know, first cut on the "Presence" album, best I can remember.

But tell the truth -- when was the last time YOU heard it, much less PLAYED it?

Mama pajama!
  4. "Nobody's Fault but Mine" is another great one off that album, most people would recognize it. But Achilles? That's tough....these must be some dedicated dudes. Ask them if they know "In my Time of Dying" off Physical Graffitti.
  5. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Last time I heard it was within the last 7 days and the last time I played it was within the last 2 weeks. :D

I've been on a Led Zep kick lately and I've been learning their songs for no good reason whatsoever other than the fact that it's fun.

"The Wanton Song" is a complete and utter kick to play too. Gotta just love those 16th note octave grooves.

oh yeah, and when "Presence" was released, I was 2 years and 30 days old. :)
  6. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    You know, nobody likes a smartypants.

Shut up, man.

7. Last time I heard Achilles Last stand was on the Dream Theater album. What a cover it was, almost but not quite better then the orginal.
  8. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Ive been on a Zep kick for the past 2 months. I need real music to keep me playing. My Cds usualyl get played in this order when im jammin' Parliament, Incubus, Led zep (mix of all my fav songs off of the greatest hits albums)
  9. I'm a total Zepp-head. Where do you think my nickname came from? :cool:

Achilles Last Stand is a Led Zeppelin classic. An epic rock rollercoaster. Try to listen to it FAST if you don't know what I'm talking about! :D

BTW, Led Zeppelin RULES! :p
  10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Friday night:D I get to play Zep all the time,
    My band CounterAttack does a Led Zep tribute show at least once or twice a month, We have been doing it since 1988.

My favorite of the night is usually The Lemon Song, We didn't play it this Fri, I love that tune
  11. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Freakin' Funkster, I should have known you'd show up. :D

I always liked the Wanton Song, which of course we all called the Won-Ton Song -- yuk yuk.
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I play in a classic rock cover band - no 'Zep on the setlist, I guess mainly because our vocalists have some notion of their limits ;)

Had a guy sit in with us recently, though who was ready to tackle some Plant. A guy named Keith Slack, who has toured as vocalist for the Michael Schenker group, and has a couple of albums with bands I've never heard of - Mudpie and Steelhouse Lane, if I remember the names right. Suffice it to say, no garden-variety set of pipes.

Lucky for me, I was able to follow my guitarist as he broke into "Heartbreaker" and summoned memories from the garage jams of my youth to carry me through - um, more or less ;)

Whole lotta fun, it was :D
  13. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yeah jc! it's a total blast playing Zep, come to think of it I have probably played Zep's music more than they ever did in the 17 years we have been together versus the 10 years they were together:D

Lead head for life!!