Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamming at High School Pep Games

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FWbassmonster, Sep 6, 2000.

1. FWbassmonster

FWbassmonster

May 17, 2000
    I play in my High School's Pep and Jazz bands as non other than the bass player. Anyway, the pep band plays at football and basketball games, and during time-outs or whenever we want, we, the rhythm section of the pep band, pass the time by jamming. We play everything from RHCP to Bob Marley and Metallica back to Brick House and ABC's. I was wondering if anybody out there knows of good funky songs that are good to just jam to. Stuff that grooves and with added improv, or not, will get the crowd to go, "Whoa!"

2. SBX1

SBX1

Apr 7, 2000
    I suggest you something about Rage Agaist The Machine (Take the Power Back on the others)

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I guess it depends on your audience, but lately I've been digging the Meters. "Funky Miracle" and "Funkify Your Life"(with mutron!) are pretty good for funk and improv. OR, if you're up to the challenge (I'm not yet), check out some of The Flecktones or Victor Wooten....

My .02cents

Dave

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I Wish - Stevie Wonder
    Shining Star - Earth, Wind, & Fire
    Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes (DON'T sing it though ;) )
    Longview - Green Day
    Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
    Skin Tight - Ohio Players
    Fire - Ohio Players (NOT the Springsteen/Pointer Sisters one)

I'm sure I'll think of a few more, if so, I'll post again. Hope that helps some :).

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    "Fire" by Jimi Hendrix -- funky groove and it cooks!

6. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Magic Carpet Ride by Stepenwolf would be good....uh....any catchy movie scores (jaws, mission impossible, top gun) or you could always throw some Sublime in there (santaria would be good).

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    "Dance to the Music"...or..."I Want to take you Higher"... by Sly and the Family Stone

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    You should play "Another One Bites the Dust" right when your team is about to win.

Just about anything Larry Graham is funky. Same with Tower of Power.

9. Hmmm... Pep rally tunes..Some of my funky favorites were: The Chicken-Jaco version,Superstition-SRV or SW version,
    Higher ground, Brick House, Flashlight,(Bootsy,Baby!)
    School days, Rock n' Roll Jelly, The hey song (not too funky, but always a crowd pleaser)

10. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I also play in a high school pep band as a bass player, and some of our best songs are low rider, soulfinger, and soul man. Some great, funky songs. Also, we play some Van Halen, and even Higher Ground every once in a while. Our greatest moment as a band was when we got a tech not stopping fast enough when a time out ended. The ref was pretty pissed off...

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was in high school pep band, but back in the Cretaceous. Now, our band dredges up old things like Funk 49, Long Train Runnin' and Brown Sugar for intermission riffs. Drives the crowds nuts when you play those beloved old riffs, they get up to rock out, and you say, "ALRIGHTY then, we'll be back in 15 minutes after we take a pause for the cause." Then shut 'er down and walk off. Talk about showmanship!

Oh yeah, La Grange is good for that too!

12. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    You gotta play Who let the dogs out, by the Baha Men. Its supposed to be the best! You gotta check it out!