Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamming Online??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by skrubbles, Nov 1, 2002.

1. skrubbles

skrubbles

Oct 30, 2002
    Steilacoom, WA
    My longtime friend and I were just chatting and can't wait to start jamming... he just started learning to play the guitar and I'm gonna start learning the bass in a week. After some practicing we'd like to jam... but I live in WA and he lives in AZ now... is there a program (preferably freeware) that can be used to jam online? and if not, why not? hehe

2. there is a few ways to do it.some one told me with good comptures u can do it with aol IM.use the talk part of it,like u plug u bass/guitar were the mic should be.problem is getting a good sound.

3. skrubbles

skrubbles

Oct 30, 2002
    Steilacoom, WA
    I was actually thinking about that... but on most chat (talk) applications I've used there can online be one person talking at a time which is kinda pointless during a jam... I'm pretty sure its the same for AIM too (last time I used that function).

4. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    i've tried it with roger wilco or a similar program
    the problem is that there is a lag between when you play a note and when the other person hears it, so its REALLY hard to stay in time

5. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
  6. skrubbles

skrubbles

Oct 30, 2002
    Steilacoom, WA
    Chip - I d/led roger wilco and tested it out (along with knock-off versions) and I noticed the lag... thing is those programs were mainly designed to chat with people online during gameplay... isn't there a program that's sole purpose is to enable people to play music online with eacher other in realtime (barely any lag/any at all)? I imagine its not that far-fetched... I mean, my friend and I both have broadband connections so what's the deal?

just_a_poser and XavierG - thanks, the idea of collaborating online is pretty cool... but I wanna do it realtime :D