1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jamming Online??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by skrubbles, Nov 1, 2002.

1. skrubbles

skrubbles

Oct 30, 2002
    Steilacoom, WA
    My longtime friend and I were just chatting and can't wait to start jamming... he just started learning to play the guitar and I'm gonna start learning the bass in a week. After some practicing we'd like to jam... but I live in WA and he lives in AZ now... is there a program (preferably freeware) that can be used to jam online? and if not, why not? hehe

2. there is a few ways to do it.some one told me with good comptures u can do it with aol IM.use the talk part of it,like u plug u bass/guitar were the mic should be.problem is getting a good sound.

3. skrubbles

skrubbles

Oct 30, 2002
    Steilacoom, WA
    I was actually thinking about that... but on most chat (talk) applications I've used there can online be one person talking at a time which is kinda pointless during a jam... I'm pretty sure its the same for AIM too (last time I used that function).

4. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    i've tried it with roger wilco or a similar program
    the problem is that there is a lag between when you play a note and when the other person hears it, so its REALLY hard to stay in time

5. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
  6. skrubbles

skrubbles

Oct 30, 2002
    Steilacoom, WA
    Chip - I d/led roger wilco and tested it out (along with knock-off versions) and I noticed the lag... thing is those programs were mainly designed to chat with people online during gameplay... isn't there a program that's sole purpose is to enable people to play music online with eacher other in realtime (barely any lag/any at all)? I imagine its not that far-fetched... I mean, my friend and I both have broadband connections so what's the deal?

just_a_poser and XavierG - thanks, the idea of collaborating online is pretty cool... but I wanna do it realtime :D