Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jamming with another bass player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowfrez, Sep 9, 2001.

1. I didn't really know were this thread should be posted but here looks like a good place. Do any of you ever jam with other bass players?? I have recently done this and found it was a great way to practice just about everthing. Especially if the players style is very diffrent from yours. I just jammed with this guy who plays just about every primus and les C. song known to man. He made some intresing points to me about the importance of the right hand (I usually don't play alot of slap)very intresting. let me know if you've had any similar experinces.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    off to misc.

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I am in a fusion band with 2 bassists, so yeah, I jam with this guy all the time. He is a much better bassist than I am, so I learn a lot from it. To be honest, jamming with any instrumentalist is invaluable.

4. I've jammed on several occasions with another bass player, most recently with a stand-up while I played electric.

He's an accomplished jazz player and we were jamming on pop and blues tunes.

It was great because we traded melody and bass lines, and I think we both had a fantastic time.

5. Me and SkaFreak "jammed" last night. but it sucked cuz on AIM if you talk it runs on a bit of a deley!

6. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Ive jammed with another bassist. It was pretty fun, but I havent done it since because he usually plays guitar.

Yes hes a guitarist with a bass.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey, why not? Guitarist's do it all the time. Bob Babbitt and James Jamerson were known to have done it back in Detroit in the 60's. I believe even John Pattitucci recommends that different bassists make music together.
    You know, with a good drummer thrown into the mix, I'll bet a couple of bassists together can make some awesome music.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention Steve Bailey, and Victor Wooten.
    Peace

8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    For some free MP3's of Steve Bailey and Victor Wooten playing duets from their Ampeg Bootleg CD (which I have a copy of and it is really good), go to the official Ampeg homepage here:

http://www.ampeg.com/bootlegBass/bootlegbass.html

Nice example of 2 basses complementing each other.

9. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I have, it's fun.