1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jamming with myself. Sound alright?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Pauly McCartney, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Eh

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. I'm starting to think that you're not Paul McCartney

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
    LiquidMidnight and natobasso like this.
  2. First off thank you for posting this! Some feedback:

• Try recording this without the sax on top, the sax part isn't really nailing the rhythm so it might be throwing you off a little bit
    • Next record it again with just bass and drums and pay attention to nailing the "1" of every bar (start) with your bass on the root of the chord (it does sound like the same key pedalling) and dial back your note choices to quarter notes only
    • Pay special attention to the bass drum and make sure you're hitting a bass note when the bass drum thumps; this gives the grove some real power
    Your note choices are great, the drums are nice and simple so lock in and it's going to be even better.

3. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    pretty much what was said above.

you are doing that thing that everyone does at some point:
    missing the downbeat because you were pursuing a fill.

this happens because we tend think of making up fills that start on a particular beat.
    It usually unfolds like this:
    • root on 1
    • root on 1 and then add a note or two
    • root on 1 and then add even more notes
    • root on one and add so many note that it spills over past the measure
    this breaks our groove because we don't get that AAAHH payoff of the strong root on 1.
    Like Wooten said: "Never miss a groove to find a note"

try working backwards instead: make up fills that end on the 1
    • root on 1
    • a note or two before root on 1
    • even more notes before root on 1
    • so many notes that we have to start a measure earlier
    in the second case it does't hamper the groove because eventually we'll hit the root on one and get that payoff.

natobasso and Pauly McCartney like this.
  4. Firstly, thank you for critiquing my recording.
    I do believe, I hear the issues that you have stated- the root of one, etc. This usually stands to be my issue; no matter the situation. Will quarter notes provide the same backing as the chromatic eight note walks?
    However, I think I was simply attempting to speed through the recording process to make a product; not that I had a deadline, however. Everything excluding the drums was done by myself, either through a MIDI keyboard or my jazz bass. Also, the sax was the last item recorded. so, unfortunately, it wasn't the lead instrument causing my issues.

-Best Wishes, Pauly

natobasso likes this.
  5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    You're doing something hard. Asking stranger to critique you ...

- You don't play the punch. There is some punched chord with the bass drum that you never joint
    - You did some wierd fill/run whatever you want to call them that just ended nowhere
    - That music asked for a strong first beat and you often miss it
    - Some instrumentations were very loud and it may throw you off ???

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  6. All good I think this is a good exercise for anyone to do, especially me. :)

Yeah I think nail the quarters first then start putting the 1/8ths in there for colour.

7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I have a question for you.

Did you record the drum then the bass and added the rest afterward ? If so ... I would suggestion to record the drum and the chords so you have something to fit with. It can help to just fit with the whole thing.

Or come with the chords first then add the rest.

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I always start with a click track that I later mute out - no way I could keep a solid tempo otherwise. Having the chordal background helps me hear where I want the bass to go too.

9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Yeah I do use a click track too when recording something specific but if I just jam I may not use anything just go along the ideas. But it helps to have the drum and the chords even if the playing will change so that you have something to work with. Most of the time when I jam I start with the chords or what will be the harmonic line so the rest just fit with that.

bholder likes this.
  10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It sounds a bit like you're struggling to keep up with the tempo, and like others have said, it could be because you're trying to play a lick, and don't get back on beat in time. Also, your dynamics are all over the place while the rest of what's going on stays pretty much the same.