Jamming with new people

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Wild Bill, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I got invited to Jam with a couple friends on wensday. I'm already in a band but its nothing serious, just a fun band and we play a few shows. but anyway, I was wondering what everyone does to get into the groove when their in a new "situation" with musicians youre not used to playing with.
  2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Listen to what they poklay and try to make it sound better :)
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Make sure you tune up before you begin to jam... little things like that can make a big difference!

You'll probably also find it easier to start with some kind of structure, for example a song that you all know, rather than launching straight into something entirely freeform.

4. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    well they said they wanna play some form of Jimmy eat world, the new album besides the new single, and some form of rock with pop/indie influence, thats kinda my forte so hopefully all goes well.
    Thanks for the tips, the tuning issue is actually very important, and I like the idea about adding my own flavor so to speak to make them sound better or to compliment their sound.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i find in most cases the best thing to do is to ask them to start playing and then jump in. especially if i'm sorta familiar with what they're playing. If i can get a feel for what they play like i can usually add to it without drastically changing their sound (unless they really need it ;) )
  6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hopefully somebody will be able to tell you what key each tune is in and then you can just have them count it off and you jump in when you're ready. Get close enough to the drummer to be able to see and hear him and lock in with him. If you don't know the songs, watching the other guys can sometimes give you clues as to when you've got changes or stops coming up on you.