Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Urbs, Mar 9, 2004.

1. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    I didnt know where to put this, but with all mighy power of the Mods, please move to its appropiate spot :p

Anyway, my question is do you guys with bands, friends ever just jam out?

And if so, what do you do?
  2. Me and my friends jam constantly. I am not really in a band right now, but I have some guitar playing friends who like to "rock out" with a bass behind them. Usually, someone will start playing something, anything, and the rest will play along with it.
  3. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    Jamming is awesome. Creativity just flies everywhere and you feed off of others, it great.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I'm down for a good jam. Raspberry is my favorite :spit:

I used to jam a lot, but I haven't in a while, if you are with a group of good players that can do more than 1 chord jams for 20 minutes, then I'm down, but I do tire of those 20 minute 1 chord jams.
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I jam pretty much every Thursday with a group of guys, one of whom I was in a band with for five years... We've been doing this for quite awhile, to the point where we are pretty much a giggable band... Often, other bass players or drummers will sit in, which is always cool...

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jamming pretty much sucks. Boring.
  7. I play with a jazz combo, and jamming is pretty much all we do. we bring a fakebook, and pick a song that the sax player knows. play the head once, and then we get into solo rotations. repeat for anywhere from 5-15 min. play the head at the end, and look for another song.

actually, in my other band (www.thiscrookedmile.com) the drummer and i end up in some nice funk jams at least once per rehearsal. we're really white, but we try.
  8. Hatman

Feb 11, 2004
    Shropshire UK

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It really depends on what you do and who you do it with (isn't that always the case).

I used to play West African music and was lucky to hook up with one of the most studious drummers I ever met. He used to live with this couple: the man played guitar and the woman played piano. Guitar guy had his own thing going on but the pianist, the drummer and I would jam for hours. Usually, we'd agree on a chord progression or someone would bring something in and we'd play that, constantly pushing ourselves.

The drummer, who didn't play a melodic instrument, had the most amazing understanding of rhythm I've ever seen in a musician. He's really broken it down. He suggested we pick two grooves and alternate between the two, so we'd go back and forth between 12 measures of a funk groove and a 12 measure jazz groove, but it got better.

First, we'd play 12 + 12, then 6 + 6, 4 + 4, 3 + 3, 2+2 1+1 and then back to 12 again. It was a real band exercise and making it musical was part of the challenge.

There were also bongos congas and all sort of percussive knick knacks that could be beaten or shaken, and on occasion he would show us polyrhythms that involved the use of paradiddles and triplets. It was mind boggling and I'm glad he shared it with me. Thanks to this guy, I learned to isolate individual rhythms played by a drummer from the bigger picture. He also inspired me to learn drums...someday.

Mind you, it was a very open environment, where people who were not necessarily musicians could show up and drum on something and add to the experience. It really gave everyone a chance to stretch beyond their level, but added the challenge of having to support and enhance the overall experience. These things would go for a few hours and we'd be drenched in Tea or... some other natural additive (My friends got me hooked on coffeemate). After a while, we'd stop, eat and watch a movie or listen to music or talk about stuff. It was brilliant and the music sharing experience made me a better player.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's boring, as his post said. :p
  11. IF I was going to jam, It would be with a sax, or trumpet, or keyboardist. Usually someone who has got allot of melodic ideas and can "blow" for ages, other than that, I don't think It intrests me much. Rather than "jam" with a band, I'd sooner sit down with a group Of like minded guys and put the time into playing a challenging fusion piece. Just my personal view.
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    people who get bored are boring people.

the difference between jamming and playing songs to me is like the difference between having sex and making love. there's nothing quite like the experience of a really great jam, especially when you've been playing with the same people for years. there's something very spiritual, mystical, and emotional about it. when you really get into it the brain just sorta shuts downs and you start to intuitively feel what the other guys are going to do. i think it's a great exercise in creativity, and an even better exercise at listening, feeling and coming up with the best parts you can for the music you're involved in. my bands have always jammed, i can't live without it. we've just recently started really going at it on stage - and people seem to suck it up. we still only do fairly short jams at gigs (maybe 10 minutes tops) but we feel it, and if it went longer we wouldn't stop it.

as for your question on how to do it, i believe it takes a lot of time to get really creative but you can start simply. the more creative the drummer is the further i think you'll be able to go, also. some drummers keep playing the same beat and the jam can stagnate - other drummers have a gift of taking the jam to a million different places. anyhow, you can simply say "lets jam in A minor" and start a really slow groove just playing an A and the octave. once it gets moving stretch out a little, add a variation. listen to what each other is doing and try to work off of one another. you don't even need to change keys, just keep at the A minor. let your guitarist figure what chords fit in. with a lot of practice things will start to come together. we usually start all our rehearsals with a good 15-20 minute jam.

you can also jam to a blues scale. i don't like that though because i don't like being trapped to a format. same way i don't like when a guitarist says "let's jam to this," and plays some key changing riff he's been working on all night. just grooving and creating in one key is the most fun for me.

lastly - you can take a flea idea and say, "lets jam in D major. we're going to a carnival and then find out it's closed because someone just fell off the ferris wheel and got killed." or some other weird, nice, happy, angry or sad thing. "I'm in love. In G major." could be enough to spark a great jam.

Hope that was helpful.

C'mon Munji - I'm waitin for ya.
  14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    when I jam with my drummer its fun.
    I love Jamming to the max. :rolleyes:
  15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I wish my band did it more. But they don't quite grasp the thought that it can go beyond a blues 1-4-5.
  16. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    Awesome responses, I just jammed with a guitarist but was hard without a drummer to help with the beat alittle, but it was fun.

Another question, how can a bassist like break out of the idea of being just another part of the rythem section and stand out? LIke not solo, but like playing something that sounds just as unique than playing roots or octaves? :confused:
  17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Why would you want to? The bassist is the rhythm section - he makes it or breaks it. It's what we do and it's important.

root five root five root five fill root five root five root five fill root five root five root five fill root five root five root five fill
  18. Whenever my band gets together to pracitce we always start it off with a jam just to get things goin. It's loads of fun! Usually my guitarist or I will start off with something and everyone just work off of it.
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I wish my cheezy cover band would do this.

Sometimes one can be a "riffin' monster" and be creative on their own. Other times jams produce grooves that would not have been developed any other way. Why not use as many ways as possible to write music?
  20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This is also how we warm up. Many of our songs have sprung from this exercise. It's a good way to exchange ideas. "Whoa, what was that? That was cool...let's use that riff and rhythm and work a song around it!"