JAN 12AX7WA Tubes,..any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Jan 26, 2001.

1. i was wondering if anyone has experience with these tubes, my particular application is a mesa boogie 400+ w/ 454 6L6 outputs. im trying to be careful, ive had a rash of bad preamp tubes........thanks!
  2. JAN = Joint Army Navy, made for the military by many different companies.

W = ruggedized against high vibration and shock.

Get em.

3. I'm a nut about subbing a great 5751 for the 12AX7 (see http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/39285.html if you want to look into this), but if you're set on having 12AX7s, I'd recommend the discontinued Tungsram ECC83 (ECC83 is the Euro designation for 12AX7). The Tungsram is modeled after the venerated Telefunken smooth plate diamond base ECC83, which is still considered by many to be the killer bass 12AX7 (bass tightness is the reason given), but the Teles go for $100 each new and they don't have nearly the liveliness of the Tungsrams.

These are available from Steve at angela.com for $26. He will hand pick them for low microphonics if you ask. I only use one tube at a time in my SWR Grand Prix, so I didn't ask for matching, but you may want them output matched for your multiple-tube application (both triode matched and matched to the other tubes). I don't know but I'd bet he would do that for a customer, too.

I have heard great things about the Ruby Tubes 7025 (7025 is the industrial designation for 12AX7), and they are supposed to be returning them to production, but don't hold your breath. I have an e-mail *somewhere* around here from a Swedish guy who had some for sale at about $20 a pop, but I can't find it any more. Anyway, search on "ruby tubes 7025 sweden" (AND mode) and you'll probably find him.

4. By the way, there is an interesting polemic on the Mesa site saying it doesn't matter what kind of preamp tubes you use, there's no magic to be found there (I think it's in the back of the 400+ manual). They tell customers just to buy their Mesa 12AX7 tubes. My ears disagree violently, but you might want to read their opinion anyway because they *built* your amp, after all, and I haven't used a Mesa since I bought one of the first D-180s (been a while).