Jane Little, world’s longest-serving orchestra musician, dies performing

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jebmd, May 16, 2016.

1. jebmd

jebmd

May 4, 2009
    Iona, Florida
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That's how I want to go. Even if it's with a bullet in the head. I don't care. Just would like to die fast and happy and old, doing what I love.

3. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    That's a hell of a way to go.

4. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Wow just read an article about her remarkable stint a couple weeks ago. Sad, but a lot of 87 year olds spend their last days staring at the ceiling for weeks or months.

Johnny Crab, JMacBass65 and 10cc like this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My dad (83 this year), recently approached me to play bass in a hillbilly string band with him. Since my mom's death he's been looking for something to do besides "sitting around waiting to die".

We've been playing together forever but this is the first time he's mentioned playing out. He's really good on guitar and has a very strong voice ideal for that high lonesone sound so i'm pretty excited about this.

TBH i wouldn't care if he sounded like goose farts on a muggy day, i have an opportunity to pay back one of my biggest and most enduring hereos, who also happens to be the one who gifted me with a lifelong love of music, of course i'm in.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    DeltaTango, Fxpmusic, Algo and 13 others like this.
  6. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I work for a group of Eye Doctors and one of our Doctors retired at 82. He really wanted to die in the office but fortunately his Doctor forced him to retire. While he may have thought dying in the office while seeing patients would be good and noble, our other Doctors did not think it was really a good idea. So he is still alive at 85 but in no condition to see patients.

7. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Same here, my dads not that old yet, but he's survived prostate cancer and a triple bypass, I never pass up a chance to gig with him.

pacojas likes this.
  8. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    This was over on the double bass forum, I thought it wouldn't hurt to post it here too. Talk about going out while still in the saddle...

‘An amazing way to go’: Jane Little, world’s longest-serving orchestra musician, collapses and dies performing ‘There’s No Business Like Show Business’

9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I saw a cool news interview with her not to long ago, very cool lady!
    Fly on Jane................

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  10. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    Just read about her on Slate. What an inspiration. Undergoing chemo and keeps on playing!

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  11. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    So much respect

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  12. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    We should all be so lucky as to be able to do what we love right up to the very end. I'm sad she's gone, but I'm envious too.

13. I saw this today, 2016 strikes down another one. RIP Jane Little a once fearless 16 year old who stepped into the pit and later held her place there for 71 years as the principal bassist in a big orchestra.

14. LARAIDER

LARAIDER Ghost to Da Post

I was going to post this also I'm glad I checked. They ran a 60 minutes story on her not too long ago, it was amazing at her size how she handled that big double, and Played with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra for 71 years. Truly my heroine and inspiraton.

15. RIP Jane, keep Lemmy out of trouble if you can.

ThuzzleFump and Session1969 like this.
  16. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Jane Little was the 87 year old bass player of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. She died after collapsing during an encore yesterday. She was 4 feet 11 inches tall, and had played for...wait for it...71 years in the same orchestra, having started at age 16 when it was the Atlanta Youth Orchestra.

Her story is worth a read. Our loss, but I can't be too sad because she had a remarkable life and yep, died doing what she loved.

160516_janelittle.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

5-Foot-Tall, 87-Year-Old Symphony Bassist Dies After “No Business Like Show Business” Encore

Meet the World's Longest-Serving Symphony Musician

kcole4001, Pet Sounds, Relsom and 3 others like this.
  17. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    That's truly beautiful, her will to perform even after being stricken with cancer, to go out doing what she loved and did so well.

RIP Jane

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Tbone76 likes this.
  18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    an amazing musician, and the perfect way to go.

still, i do feel sad to hear the news...

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    She played bass 71 years at the same gig! That was too cool.

20. Oh, geez. Rock on, Ms. Little.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022