Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jane Monheit at the Blue Note

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Feb 15, 2005.

1. :confused: I just figured I'd let the NYC area people know that Jane will be at The Blue Note through this coming Sunday, February 20th.

Click on Jane's Tour Schedule www.jazzsingers.com/JaneMonheit

I saw her two years ago, and believe me she is well worth seeing.

I'm going this Friday night, probably the early show. If you decide to come, introduce yourself, and you can buy me a drink! :p :D

Live Jazz !!! :hyper:

Mike ;)

P.S. If she comes anywhere near your hometown, do check her out.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The last time she was at the Algonquin the band was Mike Kanan, Miles Ozaki and Orlando Fleming. Any idea who's playing?

3. Ed, I'm not sure, but I think it's :

Mike Kanan - piano
    Joe Martin - -bass
    Joel Frahm - tenor sax
    Rick Montalbano on drums (her husband) :eek:

Mike ;)

4. Jane Monheit, vocals
    Orlando Le Fleming, bass
    Michael Kanan, piano
    Miles Okazaki, guitar
    Rick Montalbano, drums

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dagnabbit. The closest she is coming to me is Michigan. I envy those of you who get a chance to see her live.

6. No sax this time? :(

Mike

7. Sax is for single girls...

8. OH, MAN !!!

You must go see Jane when you get a chance.

I went to see her Friday night and Sunday night !!!

She was that good !!! :eek:

Her band is :cool: All top-notch players.

I bought her latest CD there, got her to autograph it, and got a couple of photos with her !!!

You must see her.

Mike

9. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i have the live dvd of her at the rainbow room. ron carter on bass. if i was in america let alone nyc id be there.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Mike is playing real nice these days, I got to hear him with Joe Martin and Cook Broadnax at Sofia's and then a little while ago in a duo concert (for an upcoming record) with alto player Nat Su. Some pretty deep **** going on there.

11. I have that too. As good as Jane looks in that DVD, she looked better this past weekend.

Mike

12. Yes, Mike is quickly becoming one of my favorite piano players. When I saw Jane two years ago, I noticed his playing, and how intricate, yet smooth it was as much as I was listening to Jane.*

Friday night, I sat right next to Mike at the end of the stage. To see him play that close was a treat, although I could only see Jane from the shoulders up most of the time. Darn piano was in the way.

Sunday was better: We had seats opposite the stage right near the wall, so we had a clear view of everybody that night. My friend's wife got everyone in the band to sign my program whlile I took a photo with Jane. Nice of her.

Mike

* To anyone that wants to check out Mike Kanan's playing, try to get a copy of the, "Live at The Rainbow Room" DVD. Check out her site, above. It is worth it for Mike K., and Ron Carter alone. :cool:

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    He's also featured in the new DVD about Little Jimmy Scott IF YOU ONLY KNEW.

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Saw the broadcast of the TAKING A CHANCE ON LOVE DVD on PBS Monday night, it's the working band. Mike, O-Town, hubby and Miles Okazaki. Some really nice arrangements of some tunes - TOO LATE NOW and WATERS OF MARCH were some standouts. No bass solos, it looks like Orlando was using Velvets and a mic (didn't see an amp).

Now this is the first time I've heard her in a long time, is it just me or is she channeling this whole Lena Horne thing?