1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Janek Gwizdala signature four-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iomamo, Dec 3, 2018.

1. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales

Switchable regular and reverse P configuration. That seems an ingenious idea to me. One I'd never considered before.

J_Bass, ErikP.Bass and ELynx like this.
  2. caasi91

caasi91

Sep 18, 2009
    SF Bay
    I love Janek's playing and vlogs.

I was looking into his new signature model but have come across various members here on TB have bad/no communication with Mattison Bass (including a member who has put down money and has been strung along for months)

I wonder if Janek is aware of this? I dont necessarily want to bother him especially since Im not a customer nor do I think its his responsibility but since he is promoting this builder he'd want to have a heads up.

3. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    Hmm, I didn't know about that. You'd hope that a production model (presumably at least part-outsourced) won't have those issues.

4. that pickup design is genius, shame it's not short scale :p

iomamo likes this.
  5. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Yeah I am super intrigued by this bass; but from the other thread there is no way I am dropping money on Mattisson until they address those issues. Or there are a lot of satisfied customers in front of me - which is selfish, but that's where it's at.

6. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    All of the other aside, the pup configuration is great. I have jumped between Spector and Fender for years to attain both. Though, I'm still likely to play Spectors, this is a great idea.

7. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    I love Janek's playing and his music, one of my favourite musicians certainly but these Mattissons just don't sound anywhere near as good as his Fodera. What a shame.

I'd have trouble ordering one, I just don't think I could bring myself to put money down given the already poor reports coming through of people paying up for the basses and finding that Mattison doesn't get in touch. What a shame as I think some of them, particularly the Series IV basses look amazing, though I'd definitely go for a different preamp and pickup setup to what Janek has in his Mattissons. I was actually in Sweden for business when Janek was there doing the prototyping and development time at Mattisson's workshop. I was in Karlskoga but I think Mattisson is based south of Örebro. It would have been cool to bump into Janek actually, as we both flew back to Heathrow, though I didn't realise he'd been in Sweden until I was back in the UK and Janek put the vlog up.

8. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I'm (probably) the one referred to as having placed an order and then experienced difficulty with the communication, and while that is true I also don't want to damage Mattison's reputation in any way.

Long story short, I had better luck contacting him on Facebook. Email is... not good.

I am hopeful that the bass will be ready soon and I can post a happy NBD! Considering they are planning to debut the line at NAMM in January, I hope it will be done by then.

As for the 4-string, I think the triple P concept is awesome! Would love to try that out.

9. I have to say I rather preferred the sound Janek got with his Wal vasses many years ago. The Fodera sounded a little more plain to my ears, which may have been something to do with the Aguilar gear he was using. Not a bad sound, just plain.

I am not particularly fond of the look or sound of this Mattisson though. The switchable splitcoil is a nice touch but it is not, to my ears, a substitute for a bridge pickup. However, I await the chance to see and hear the finished article in a proper recording before I make up my mind on whether I like it or not.

10. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    Hi,

Thanks for the post about the new 4-string. Yes, there was a recent issue with a customer and communication with Anders. You can read my full response to that on the thread in question, and we are well on the way to resolving it and moving forward. I was not aware of all the posts in the forum until today, and am spending some time replying right now...

We are full steam ahead with the new instruments, launching two of them at the winter NAMM show in CA in just a few weeks.

Whether the basses sound "better" or "worse" compared to another brand in someones opinion is completely subjective of course. And I'm guessing, actually I'm not guessing at all, that people base what they think of a sound from an over-compressed youtube recording through a cell phone speaker... so whether you like a fodera or a Mattisson, it's probably best to hear both in person before making a decision. Not for my ego in whether you like one or the other, but for your own peace of mind and reality.

The switchable split coil is not designed to replace a separate bridge pickup that you might find in a P/J pickup configuration. It's a prototype, something we talked about when the idea of working together first came about some time ago, and is something that is still not set in stone 100%.

And are we going to please everyone with the look and the sound? of course not. There are plenty of people out there that have that as their only goal already. Our aim is to make a world-class instrument, that is accessible to serious players. This is not a Sire, nor is it meant to be. They take care of that section of the market very well. These are basses that are built (whether you have a hand-built or production model) entirely in Sweden, and not out-sourced to some cheap factory in Asia. And this is not a Fodera that costs $12,000+. They also have that area of the market taken care of, and do just fine out of it.

The only thing we want, is for you to play the instrument. Give it a try, if it's not for you, then it's not for you. No harm no foul.

We'll be at the NAMM show with a bunch of these basses. Please come and say hi, ask us questions, try the basses, take some selfies, play some music, and have a good time.

Thanks for reading,

Janek

ErikP.Bass, ryanowens, Cashu and 3 others like this.
  11. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    Fresh Photos of the bass for anyone who's interested in taking a slightly closer look. Last round of prototyping, and this one should be ready to go in a matter of months.

12. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    How's the production development going @janekbass ?