Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Janice Marie Johnson's bass guitar - any idea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, Jun 6, 2005.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I was watching the "American bandstand 50th anniversary" show and Janice Marie Johnson from "A Taste of Honey" had a nice funky groove going on that yellow bass. The only picture I could find was this one:

http://tinypic.com/5ov4ap

It was a 4 string odd shaped yellow colored bass with maple fingerboard and some type of humbucking pups. Any idea on the bass and specially the pickup brand / model.

Cheers

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Andreas Shark Bass

Cool piece....

3. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    pickups look like alembics to me, maybe it has the eropa's preamp too.

5. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I have seen that before but I didnt no who she was and all I could think of was" wow she can groove"

6. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Do you know what were the originla pickups and pre-amp used on these basses? Assuming her bass has the original ones installed.

Cheers

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The Alembic pickups and (I believe, but could be wrong) preamp are stock.

8. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Any idea what kind of Alembics or form which model? About the stock pre-amp is that in house designed or something from third party?

Cheers

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Hmmm i was completly ignored, again.

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I couldn't find any Europe pre-amps on the net, is that custom made ones.

Cheers

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

the europa is an alembic model wich i belive comes with a 2 band alembic preamp with no filters and no Q switches.

Alembic sells that 2 band preamp and a pair of 4 string singlecoils like in those basses for 700 USD.

12. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003

They have AXY & MXY pickups. Are these both models active pickups and stereo only?

Cheers

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    weeeeee!

Stereo otput comes from the preamp so u can always not use one, the bass shown has some AXY pickups, im not shure about if they are pasive or active but you NEED the alembic preamp to use alembic pickups cos they run in a very low impedance and woithout the preamp theres no headroom.

14. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Does that mean I have to carry one of those huge power suplies that Series 1 basses have?

Cheers

15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    All the Alembic pickups are passive. The low impedance, low output models are the single coils in the Series basses which need the preamps because they use an extra coil for humbucking and the output level is too low otherwise. The AXY's in my SC are around 6k iirc and the level about the same as the Barts I was testing at the time (measured them without the pre).

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    hmm good info, you mean 6k ohm?

17. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003

Now if the Alembics are passive can we use other pre-amp not made by Alembic which can power low impendence pickups? Are you sure about all the models are passive, I swear I saw more then once on Ebay people selling just the pickups and stating they were actives.

Cheers

18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    many ppl think that just because a bass is active (so it has an onboard preamp) the pickups are active too.

19. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I know, but the pickups were sold separately without a pre-amps, so I thought its the same as EMG stuff.

Cheers

20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Theoretically yes, but I don't know how well it willl work in practice.