January 2004 U.S. East Coast storm track

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jan 27, 2004.

1. I've been listening to reports on the radio, and they say this storm that's moving up the U.S. east coast is making a mess from Georgia to Virginia so far.

So, let's see if we can track the storm here at TB.

Where are you, and what has the storm done in your area?

It's 2:15pm NYC time, and the storm is not expected to arrive here until about 7 O'clock tonight.

And you?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    snowing for 2+ hours here in Ocean County NJ.

My GrandMother passed away in the night Monday AM up in Sussex County. I'm hopping the train from Point Pleasant to Dover (Morris) with a transfer in Hoboken tomorrow to head up for the wake. No way I'm driving in this!
  3. well, im here in SC and we got hit pretty hard...

schools been out 2 days now, maybe 3 if things dont improve.

everything is covered in ice, the roads a mess

tree limbs are beginning to fall from the weight of the ice and in the process are taking power lines out with them, news said 500,000 people are without power now...
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Freezing rain here in DC. Should ice up the roads and turn to snow by tonight. I had about 1/4 inch of ice on my car this morning. Yesterday morning I woke to about 6 inches of snow. It looks like New England is going to get pounded tonight.
  5. here in northern virginia it started snowing sometime on saturday and a little more the 6 inches here. so... no school:cool:
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, I guess we aren't part of the storm, but it snowed ALL DAY yesterday, about 75-100 reported crashes in the morning all throughout the metro area... Been watchin people spinning out, etc. I've realized how dumb alot of people are.
  7. 8:46 PM in RI. Nuttin. Although EVERYONE is talking about schools being cancelled, and almost all signs point to yes (still got my homework done though!)
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    No snow in boston, it's 9 PM EST.
  9. 8:55pm. Cloudy skies and a brisk 17 degrees in the Pioneer valley of Massachusetts. Not a flake to be seen.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

After starting the day with a nice candy coating we ended up with sleet and now the last wave of snow just stopped. I drove home at 10-15mph on the Beltway which was covered with slush and ice, then snow on top of that.

Just last week I had the top down.

That's what I love about the East Coast.... don't like the weather? Just wait a minute.
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D Great Quote Brad!
  12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    NW Ohio

Over the last couple of days, we have gotten snow, sleet, freezing rain, and drifting.

It's cold out, and the wind is blowing 20-30 mph, but luckily the snow that is down is too wet to do a whole lot of drifting, it is a little, but could be a lot worse.
  13. could someone explain what snow drifting is to me?
  14. If Moses can split water, I wonder if he can do the same to snow with constant drifts blowing it back. One hell of a challenge.
  15. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Snow drifts happen when snow falls and settles on any givin surface, then is blown by the wind and settles somewhere else making one area higher than another especially next to walls.
  16. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Woodstock Ct. Snow on the ground, 3 hour delay for work, I'm lovin it!!!

Sorry to hear about your grandmother James. I hope you make it to the wake ok.
  17. 7:40 AM... NO SCHOOOLLLL!!!! W0000T!!!
  18. 8:50 am.

Started snowing lightly about 7 O'clock last night, then snowed all night. This morning there was only about 5 inches of snow on the ground.

Subways were only about half full.

No big deal.

19. Minneapolis Minnesota, 7:58 a.m.

The storm is long gone.
    Temprature -9 degrees.
    Wind chill (the new wimpy wind chill) -48 degrees.