Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

January band drama, it's that time again

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Feb 1, 2006.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    As per usual, the wheels always come off the bus for me in January. This is the second year in a row that the January Curse has reared its ugly head. Last year our lead guitarist took some time off due to a bad case of tinnitus. It threw him deep into a depression, he almost quit music altogether, but he pulled himself out of it right about the time I had started working on a side project. While he was on hiatus, the rhythm guitarist decided not to return, so we pressed the singer to take over the rhythm role. So for the past year, we have pulled the rhythm player along and the band has done well, and played a couple really well-received gigs.

Fast forward to last week. Same lead guitarist has been fighting a compressed nerve in his right arm, with numbness and pain in his right hand. So this throws him back into his depression, which also causes a flare-up of another health condition that he had fought before. Now he's announced that he wants to go on hiatus yet again to concentrate on working through these issues. This is the same bandmate who caused a ruckus last summer by calling everyone out on their lack of commitment and desire to practice and get better.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but the drama has to end somewhere. I'm sending out feelers locally to get a serious side project going. I just want to play with some guys who are serious about learning the songs, playing them tight, and see where it can go. If he comes around and wants to start back up, that's fine, but I can't put everything on hold every time he gets his head all wrapped around his latest malady. None of this stuff has any medical long-term effects at all, and I'm sensitive to the fact that he's struggling with this, but it seems to be either the highest highs or the lowest lows with this bandmate.....

2. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    <<<Sorry for the lengthy post, but the drama has to end somewhere. I'm sending out feelers locally to get a serious side project going. I just want to play with some guys who are serious about learning the songs, playing them tight, and see where it can go. If he comes around and wants to start back up, that's fine, but I can't put everything on hold every time he gets his head all wrapped around his latest malady. None of this stuff has any medical long-term effects at all, and I'm sensitive to the fact that he's struggling with this, but it seems to be either the highest highs or the lowest lows with this bandmate.....>>>

I think that is the best way to handle this. That way, your musical needs are satisfied, and the guitarist doesn't pay for his injuries/illnesses by totally losing *his* musical outlet.

I did the same thing, before my old band broke up. Six women, with at least two of us playing the role of "Drama Queen" at any given time. It had to end. So, to escape the drama and play what I wanted to play, I started playing with other people. Hurts no one, and you learn new things, too!

Cherie :)

3. Same lead guitarist has been fighting a compressed nerve in his right arm, with numbness and pain in his right hand. So this throws him back into his depression, which also causes a flare-up of another health condition that he had fought before. Now he's announced that he wants to go on hiatus yet again to concentrate on working through these issues.

Our lead guitarist had the same thing. He sought medical attention and found that he needed surgery to fix it. He was told by the Doctor that music probably saved his hand strength - because due to him NOT quitting music while dealing with the numbness and pain in his fretting hand, he had continued to play. Evidently the articulation of guitar fretting was enough to keep his hand from atropheing, and permanently losing strength.

By the way, after his surgery - he's nearly 100% and is freaking SMOKING that guitar.

Tell your guy to quit bein a puss. Every other musician (myself included) has severe tenitis. Get used to it, and wear earplugs so it doesn't get worse - and get that arm fixed.

4. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Your January Curse sucks, man. Ours is in November for the most part, and we usually pick back up in March. Musicians rarely make it past the one year mark.

For example:

March 03 - Band is formed.

November 03 - Bassist, drummer, and guitarist quit to form their own heavy metal band. Band is officially disbanded.

March 04 - Current band is formed, along with a new drummer I hadn't played with before. He ends up leaving under good terms in August. A friend of ours agrees to sit in while we look for a new guy.

November 04 - Sit in drummer gets mad and refuses to play any more shows with us.

March 05 - Our current drummer joins up, as well as a new rhythm guitarist.

November 05 - Rhythm guitarist quits school and moves away without telling anyone.

Here's hoping that March can come and go without wreaking havok on the band... :meh: