Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

January Trip to New Zealand

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, Sep 2, 2005.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    Hello,
    I am planning a trip to New Zealand for a couple of weeks in January and was wondering if anyone could give me some spots to see or activies to do. Right now we're planning on renting some bikes for travel and camping out at hostels in a small portable tent.

I'm sure SOMEONE either has visited or lives there currently.

This trip has put a stop on my bass gear buying power.

Thanks for the help!

2. Hi,

if you're keen on biking, i'd recommend the South Island. Beautiful scenery, fewer people (although it'll be summer tourist time).

As far as activities go, there's heaps everywhere in the South Island! Most places have a mixture of: skiing/ rafting/ tramping/ riding/ bungie jumping/ exhausting physical activities.

Just remember: We drive on the left side of the road!

3. Tramping - Kiwi term for bush-walking, essentially. Make sure you get a chance to visit Rotorua if you go the North Island. However, I agree with Peck - South has you better covered.

Oh, and go the All Blacks tonight! :D :hyper:

Leigh

4. tee hee.. an interesting fact about how they spell certain things there... 'wh' of pronounced as 'f' ...and theres a place in north island call whakapapa :D and whakatanie....

5. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Uh, 'wh' is only pronounced 'f' in the Maori language. So you're right for the place names, but we don't go around saying "fat are you doing today?" or anything.

Yeah South Island = Great outdoors. But keep in mind that in January it will be very hot! You certainly won't be skiing or anything. But there's plenty of rafting, bungee jumping, hiking etc, and plenty of places to cycle too. Lake Tekapo is stunning if you make it that far south. There's whale watching in Kaikoura if you're into things like that.

North Island has plenty to do in summer too - lots of beautiful beaches. Lake Taupo is nice, and there's plenty of thermal activity in the central north island (hot pools etc). The coromandel peninsula has some of the best beaches in the country, IMO. And if you're after great food & coffee and an awesome music scene then Wellington wins hands down.

Just stay out of Auckland....you'll almost undoubtedly arrive there when you fly in, and you'll quickly realise it is a concrete jungle, one sprawling mass of motorways. This is the only place in NZ that looks like that, so don't get a bad opinion from Auckland!

Well done AB's!

6. lol... yeh i just realised that simpy... mah baaad yall :S

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Wouldent New Zeland like Australia be in their summer season in January?

8. Yup.

Sheep. Heh.

NZ has some really amazing scenery. You're lucky, wish I was going to New Sheepland...

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard New Zealand is Sheep Central. :D

10. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Hehe - you wouldn't be from Wellington by any chance? :ninja:

Mo

11. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    That was me being NICE about Auckland! It does have its highlights though. I lived there when I was 5 years old, I have fond memories of mud flats & mangroves, nice beaches and new houses.

But yes I am from Wellington (woop woop!). I don't know what our stereotype is - either hippies or politicians. I'm a bit of both.

I know there are nice parts of Auckland - I just can't get over the traffic though. And I'm so glad that Wendy's (burgers) have not reached the rest of NZ. Square patties? MADNESS!

12. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    Thank you all for all of the help. Yes we are working on getting tickets to fly into Auckland and then from there we hope to get out of the city and rent some bikes and start our journey. I'll be getting a map pretty soon so we can map out our voyage so I will keep everyone posted.

Again thank you so much for the help!

13. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Being nice? ...I thought so - I lived in Wellington for 4 years ( 1980 - 1984 ) and thoroughly enjoyed the time there.

Wendy's???? you only have to look at the franchisees to see why the patties are square!!!! But overall they produce better tasing fare than maccas. I don't bother with either.

Mo

14. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    If you can spare the time, Auckland is certainly worth a day to get around and have a look at the sights depsite what others form other parts of NZ will tell you.

PM me closer to the time and I'll see what can be arranged.

Mo

15. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Make sure you let us know how the trip goes.

I really think I'd like to retire in NZ. I've spent lots of money on books and research about the country and hope to make it there before summer this year. I'd like to spend at least 2-3 weeks seeing the land.

You guys from NZ....I'm jealous of ya! :D

16. I agree with Mo. Auckland is definitely worth a look if only for a day. I've lived in NZ now for 2half years, and compared to any city in the UK, I think Auckland is an amazing place. I haven't had much time to see anything else that NZ has to offer yet, although we did go to the Bay of Islands which I'm told is beautiful - but it rained so heavily the whole time we were there that we couldn't see much, and had to stay in our hotel room :crying:

You will have a great time though, there is so much to do here, even if you do go home with no money left to your name!

Lesley.

17. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    You will have a good time with nearly anything you choose to do there. I spent just over three months there bicycle touring way back in 1994. I really miss it, and were it not for family matters, I likely would be living there (although emmigrating is difficult.....one needs to have a profession or speciality that they have a need for).

The physical beauty of the place cannot be beaten (equalled I suppose, but not beaten). But what I found to be just as great are the people. The society there is far more egalitarian than anything one can find in the USA. Greed is just not as much of a driving force for Kiwis as it is for Americans. Lawsuits are rare, as are bankrupcies and property foreclosures. People treat other people much the same there whether they are rich or poor, professional or blue collar, college degreed or not. Few people are obese, and most incorporate active participation in sports as a normal part of life, rather than as some planned workout in a gym running on a treadmill or something like it.

The weakest part of it all is the food. It's British cuisine done poorly.

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There's a book called "Kiwis might fly" that is about New Zealand on motorcycle, you might wanna check it out.

19. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hmmm maybe in small towns where the only places to eat are tearooms and pubs. But here in Wellington you'd struggle to find any British food! There are lots of Chinese, Malaysian, Indian, Turkish and Japanese places to eat, and lots of cafes that blend a whole lot of styles.

I'll also agree with people that a week or so in Auckland would be fun. But if you're there for a cycling trip then Auckland is not the place to be!

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Can anyone comment about how easy it is to get along in a wheelchair in NZ? How is accessibility?