Japan 1983 Squier Jazz for 949 euros?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D.Don, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I wouldn't do it. Get a European bass. You'll likely get better value for the money.

2. I am not gonna buy it, I was just stunned by the price for that banger and curios of it is in the correct domain.

;)

D.Don

3. 4Slater

4Slater

May 23, 2008
    Buy it.

It looks just like a 62 Fender made in El Segundo.:D

4. What's the deal with these axxes, is the quality great or why 950 euros?

(I am not in for a purchase, but I was like *** about the price..)

;)

D.Don

5. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I dunno, but I'll sell ya a 1994 MIM P-bass for 400Euro!

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Wow .....he is really trying it on asking that much. In North America that would probably sell around 350 - 400 USD.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Those are good instruments for sure, but not worth that much. i have on I got an ok price on that was modded a bit. Still a great bass.

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Don't really know about the price but the first series of Japanese Fender/Squiers are becoming quite collectable... The JV series is more desirable than the SQ series... there is a lot of info at this website about them...

http://www.21frets.com/

9. I have the same bass as this in the auction. It's good instrument and it's Squier JV, not Squier ;)
    I paid ~560 EURO for mine and always feel it like a good deal. Compared to several vintage Fenders and Fenders of the same era the sound IMHO is in the same league.

If you have interest there is informational site about JV series - http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/index.htm

10. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    do yourself a favor and buy a Sandberg

11. The few I've played have always impressed me. Not just the quality of the finish but the tone. The tone.

Davo

12. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    well 950 is a bit much.... I would never pay that...
    around 500 is a nice price...

13. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    That's a difficult question.

I have a Tokai Jazz sound from 82 (last year before the lawsuit) and I bought it a year ago. It hadn't been played for 24 years. It had sat in a warehouse from a bankruptcy. The bass was in NOS-condition. I traded it for my lightly used Hard Puncher from the same year and payed 120€ extra. All in all i've payed it 620€ with a case. That was an nice price for the bass considering the quality. I think you can spend a lot more money without getting the same quality.

On the other hand, I believe Tokai, Squier JV's etc, even with the extreme good quality, should not be overpriced. I believe 900€+ is too much for a squier JV. Especially if you know that you can get on other website for around 500€.

So I would never buy that bass.

Greetz

14. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    +1

Or buy a JV for 500€ buy searching for them on other second-hand websites.

15. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
  16. Yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking, the price is in the wrong ball park.

And, nope, I am not out to buy another bass, I just reflected over the price, it seemed somehow quite a bit off.

D.Don

17. Hifiguy

Hifiguy

Jul 9, 2008
    An insane price (something like $1300) for a frigging Squier? Even with the dollar and Euro where they are you should be able to get something far better than a cheesy Korean (or more likely Chinese or Indonesian knockoff) for money this serious.

Avoid!!

Paul

18. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    did you read any of the thread at all? no you didnt... It isn't a 'cheesy korean chinese or indonesian knock off' it's an early 80's squier made in japan. totally different thing. as people have said, it is priced too high, but these are great basses. have a look at www.21frets.com.

19. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    +1

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021