1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Japan house grounding issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jimmy Aloha, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Hello! I currently live in japan and have a house here. I am noticing some grounding issues perhaps due to the two prong plugs ( I may be mistaken). I have a headphone amp from shciit (killer name!) that has a constant hum in the background of the headphones and when I play my bass humming when I don’t touch The bass ( that I am sure is common and when I Unplug the instrument cable from the amp there is a humming on all my amp. Does any one know what i can do to prevent or make the humming lesson? I am perhaps guessing it could be a ground loop perhaps ? Any one? Thanks !

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    AC power in Japan is 100VAC, while North America is 115VAC. It's also weird that northern Japan is 50Hz while southern Japan is 60Hz. Schiit doesn't list a power supply for the Japanese voltage, so you might want to find one local with the correct output. I'm not sure how any Japanese outlet is referenced to ground, as there isn't a way to differentiate the hot from the neutral at the outlet: they are symmetrical.

The rest of the answer really depends on which model Schiit you're using. Their standard headphone amps use external "wall wort" power supplies and RCA connectors, while their more integrated line adds XLR inputs and outputs as well as a standard IEC power connector. If it's the latter, how is grounding through the 3 prong plug established at the outlet?

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  3. I have a magni. It uses a 2 prong plug. Here is a photo of the adaptor. Are you in japan? Any issues with ground loops here? Affecting all of your equity’s today? Tha ks

Attached Files:

4. Whoops magni 3 .

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    How is your bass connected to the Magni 3? It only has RCA connectors that are at line level, not instrument level.

That power supply might not be happy with the low voltage, as it is expecting 120VAC. See if you can find one rated for 100VAC input, 14VAC output at 1500mA (same as 1.5A).

6. Sorry about the mixup . I am just listening to music on the magni. I am playing music through my bass amp. Ah...I did see on a forum changing the ac adaptor might relieve or minimize the problem. If that doesn’t work any other recommendations?

7. Some one recommeded using a 16vac . They had the same problem and it solved it.

8. If you can find a 120V transformer with a 17 or 18 volt secondary, that will give you about 14 V when powered on 100 VAC mains voltage.

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'm confused. Do you have a problem with hum with your bass and amplifier without the Magni? What bass and which amp? How is your amplifier grounded?

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  10. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    @Jimmy Aloha ,
    Is your amp also designed for 120 V being used at 100 V?

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  11. I have a problem with the magni worh headphone and I was thinking maybe a prob with my bass amp. Perhaps different issues

12. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
  13. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Unless you connect the two together, they are separate issues.
    What bass and amp are we talking about, and how is the amp grounded?

14. Ah sorry both Amps ( swr blue baby II and Ibanez 10b ) 100volt 50/60hz on both .

15. Both have two prong plugs. Living in northern Japan. The voltage here is 100v 60htz

16. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'm having a bit of difficulty envisioning ground loops when there's no ground wiring. I'd suggest you consult an electrician.

Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020