Japanese Bass Brands?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Persona87, Jul 19, 2020.

1. krizalidzero

krizalidzero

Aug 21, 2019
    Bacchus is the best bang for your buck, and no shame, they are premium instruments (they have all price ranges, but their cheapest MIJ are crazy good). Atelier Z is similar, but more expensive.

And Yamaha is "cheap" for a flagship made in Japan (Ibanez = 3000USD, Yamaha 2000USD or so).

ESP is la creme de la creme, but it is extremely expensive.

Sugi are boutique basses, but I wouldn't buy one without playing them (they are like 4K USD up).

And lastly, I want to mention Killer. Great brand, and as the name might imply, 100% rock oriented.

kodiakblair likes this.
  2. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Seymour Duncan is Japanese?

3. krizalidzero

krizalidzero

Aug 21, 2019
    I think ESP makes basses branded as Seymour Duncan because of the popularity of the pickups.
    AFAIK, Seymour Duncan themselves have never made instruments.

Dabndug, Thegrandwazoo and BassNugget like this.
  4. taconeko

taconeko

Mar 13, 2020
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi,

Do you have specific questions? I live in Tokyo and have owned or played many brands made in Japan.

Bigger domestic brands out here include Deviser Guitars, Atelier Z, ESP, and FGN.

Within Deviser you have Bacchus, Momose, and STR.

Before COVID-19 the most common basses I had seen at gigs from domestic makers included Sugi and the Japanese assembled line of Xotic basses. Xotic particularly is very popular these days, having replaced Sadowsky for the modern Jazz bass crowd.

Personally I own a Bacchus, Momose, and STR bass. They are all hand made in Nagano and are fantastic instruments.

5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    My #1 and #2 gig basses are Ibanez.

6. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

I am lucky to own a Japanese made Tune (somehow there is a Korean made Tune also but the surviving Japanese Tune has quirky designs as well ) There is a discussion of the split here in TB. The Korean Tune's are also good.

TUNE Guitar Maniac. - Japan website
    https://www.tuneguitars.com/ - Korean Website

I saw and heard the first Tune bass when I saw one of Mile's Davis electric bands - Benny Rietveld. He was playing the bass Maniac. He also played/plays with Carlos Santana.

My 6 string is a keeper. (TUNE Guitar Maniac) I also bought a 4 string neck through but had to sell it and regretted it (TUNE Guitar Maniac). I looked at a couple Korean made one when I was in San Diego.

RumbleBot likes this.
  7. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

My first PJ bass was a Japanese made ESP. I think I sold it because it was Salmon color and was always called pink. The body was smaller than a Fender.

8. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    I’ll second any recommendation for FGN. Fantastic quality, best playing bass I’ve experienced.

9. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
  10. The bass guitars are made by one of the Japanese companies. I believe it is ESP. they are J and P style basses. They are fantastic basses.

11. Correct

12. At the moment, I am hoping I can run across a good 5 string Yamaha PJ just to check them out and see if it would be an upgrade on my Warwick Corvette. No knocks on the Warwick, it just for comparative purposes at this point.

13. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I just got an Aria SB-1000B direct from Japan. I think it's just dreamy..

14. I have a couple of Yamahas, and think they're great. Besides Fender, Lakland and Music Man have (or at some point in the past, "had"), basses made in Japan, probably for the domestic market there.
    Here is one of my Yamaha basses. Check with Ishibashi (on-line dealer). 4D5AF7C1-F773-41BF-8057-A470ECADF63E_1_105_c.jpeg

bassdude51 likes this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Simple answer, whoever makes Atsuko's basses:
    Shonen-Knife-5-10-17-03.jpg

16. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Just want to poke my head in as an owner - I have a (late 80s? Early 90s?) MIJ Fernandes that I bought for $375 and it plays and sounds better than almost any passive four string I've ever played at any price point. The MIJ stuff is killer, but their late-2000s, lower budget options made in China and Indonesia before they pulled out of the US market are likely lower quality.

BassNugget and Thegrandwazoo like this.
  17. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    80s Tokai, Aria, Ibanez
    Stay away from all the hipster Teisco/Kawai/Norma/Zen–On garbage.

Thegrandwazoo likes this.
  18. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    I have always wanted a Killer bass. The KB Dagger is awesome looking if you are into Metal looking basses.

BassNugget likes this.
  19. 20191025_102029.jpg
    Bacchus. Handcrafted in Japan. I am fortunate to have found this.

707GK, TolerancEJ and Starrchild like this.
  20. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    My Japanese Fernandes bass was one of the best-playing instruments I've ever handled, up there with the really nice (Music Man, Lakland, G&L, etc.) stuff. Electronics were lackluster, but it played and felt GREAT.

BassNugget and Obese Chess like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021