Japanese bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michael lucas, Jan 27, 2018.

1. hey I'm a really nerdy guy so I've seen a few anime well I've noticed that almost all anime openings are like rock ish but the bass lines are amazing over there then I start researching like Japanese bass players and a lot of them are really good any other nerds notice this?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've been told I'm a geek rather than a nerd so I guess I can't comment. :beaver:

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Casiopea's bassist is pretty good. Yoshihiro Naruse

DiabolusInMusic and Funky Ghost like this.
  4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I play a Japanese ‘51 reissue can I be in? :)

JohnDeereJack and el jeffe bass like this.
  5. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I think that musicians who get hired to play those types of gigs are very skilled regardless of nationality, religion, gender etc.

kooth and charlie monroe like this.
  6. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014

charlie monroe likes this.
  7. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    70's British art-rock band Be Bop Deluxe had a Japanese bassist, the late Charles Tumahai.

You should also know about Atsushi Hasegawa for Japanese prog trio Gerard. Plays an aggressive turbo-charged style...

and an ELP cover:

8. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    Tumahai was a New Zealander, and said he was Tahitian on his father's side and Northern Maori on his mother's.

Eyesee7 likes this.
  9. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Great bass throughout this album. I do not know his name though.

10. Tetsuo Sakurai

DWBass likes this.
  11. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    Haruomi Hosono, best known in the West as a member of Yellow Magic Orchestra.

GoesThump and 10cc like this.
  12. -Shaun-

-Shaun-

Feb 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    Yip, not only Happy End and YMO, but also a stunning solo career, including this gem:

He's still going, too. Unfortunately I missed a few chances to see him while I was living in Japan.

10cc likes this.
  13. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I don't know if this is a marketing scheme, or "1 step forward and 2 steps back".

osv likes this.
  14. osv

osv Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Tetsuya Ogawa of L’arc en Ciel is one of my favorite players.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  15. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Seiji Kameda

He played with Tokyo Jihen between 2003–2012. He's also a producer, arranger, and session bassist for many other acts.

16. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    HJ Freaks is originally Korean, although I believe he's currently working in Japan.

17. colantalas

colantalas

Mar 26, 2014
    I listen to a fair amount of Japanese music. One of my favorite bands is tricot. They play jazzy math-rock with some emo/post-hc influences. Their bassist Hiromi "Hirohiro" Sagane is a great player with awesome tone.

Takeshi from Boris is also awesome. Holds down lead vocals and bass with a giant doubleneck. Absolutely monstrous distorted tone.

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Awesome, now I don't have to look up his name to reference him. I have only listened to early Casiopea but they are amazing, bassist included. He is obviously a HUGE Jaco fan.

I am also a big X Japan fan so Taiji and Heath come to mind but, honestly, Taiji is in a league of his own.

19. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Yeah, there's some cats over there with serious chops

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021