Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Japanese bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by groove machine, Jul 25, 2005.

1. groove machine

groove machine

Nov 3, 2003
    Anyone know any killer bassists from Japan w/solo CDs?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out Stomu Takeishi on Henry Threadgill's Everybody's Mouth's A Book.

3. groove machine

groove machine

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks for the reply. I also know of Nakayama Eiji & Yama****a Masayoshi.

4. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    The Japanese band Ruins features some pretty kick ass bass players. They have changed at least a couple of times. It's basically a duo playing a wierd zeuhl/thrash hybrid.
    Also check out Koenji Hyakkei (the band) and Happy Family.
    Warning, this stuff is a bit over the top.

5. groove machine

groove machine

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks for the reply. I also heard that the bassist for Casiopeia, Naruse Yoshihiro is a great fusion musician.

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  7. groove machine

groove machine

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out.

8. I was hanging out with Ruins' drum guru Tatsuya Yoshida this past weekend on his "Bassist Wanted" tour. He is indeed looking for a new bassist... :)

9. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I am not worthy...

10. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tetsuo Sakurai yet. He's got a reeeaaall nice 6er and has several solo albums.
    Samples can be found here and here.

11. MmM That would be a great gig!!!

Another great bassist is the girl in BLEACH, she is pretty good!!! :bassist:

12. Check out "Teeny Shiny" and "Cell Scape" by Melt-Banana, that bird has gotta be one of the best female bassists I know in terms of speed she can use a plectrum without dropping the thing!

13. NoW wHaT aBoUt ThE gUy FrOm X-Japan-X.

What happened to that slapshock guy who only posted about that band? This thread is a big blinking invitation.

14. cat_saltnpepper

cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    Toronto
    I think his name was tetsuo sakurai or something like that.
    He released his solo album with dennis chambers and greg howie(spell?). I saw him playing 6-string yamahas for a while, and last time when I saw him on internet, he was playing 6-string fodera.
    I heard he has several albumes from drum and bass duo album with akira jimbo.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I was going to start a thread about Stomu, I should have known you would have brought him up already.;)
    Well anyway.....I was listening to Paul Motain's Electric Bebop Band and Cuong Vu tonight and really digging Stomu's fretless work.:bassist: Nice to see he has already received some love.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

One word..............Tetsuo! :)

17. Gidzkun

Gidzkun

May 16, 2010
    try kameda bassist of tokyo jihen..

18. thecool

thecool

Mar 28, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yes! Yoshihiro Naruse and Tetsuo Sakurai are incredible musicians, two of my personal favourites, I would definitely recommend any of their stuff.
    Other japanese bassists i would check out are Mitsuru Sutoh, Quagero Imazawa (the bass ninja), Kenji "Jino" Hino, and Tomohito Aoki. They're all amazing IMO.