1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Japanese Conrad 'Beatle' Hollow Body Violin type Bass - Can neck be straightened ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by guzzler, Dec 8, 2011.

1. guzzler

guzzler

May 19, 2010
    Hello, I am wondering if there are some TB folks that have encountered Japanese 'Beatle' type basses with a neck that does not seem to respond to truss rod adjustment ? Maybe you can help me with your knowledge. The truss rod nut turns and gets tight but not much response if any to the adjustment. If I can get the neck to adjust I would like to get some better tuners for it also. Originally I think they are the type with the box cover on the back, if that makes sense. I am guessing they were like these in the photo. It is like the Conrad that is about 2/3 of the way down this page. brands

Thank you for your help

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I suppose you could try the old thin washers under the trussrod adjusting nut trick.

3. guzzler

guzzler

May 19, 2010
    Thank you, but I have tried adding 2 thin washers.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I had to use more in a couple of cases.

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I'd suggest clamping the neck into a backbow, then tightening the
    trussrod.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I assumed he had already done that (my bad)...if not, try it.

7. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    +1

Dan Erlewine shows how:

Dan Erlewine - YouTube