Japanese EB2/Rivoli copy from the Seventies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sub Four, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Sub Four

Sub Four

Jul 19, 2016
    Berlin, Germany
    Can anyone tell me about this bass? Who made it, how does it sound/how easy is it to play/handle? I saw one in a local add and like the idea of adding a semi acoustic to my home gear. Looks a bit like a mix between an EB-2 and a Rivoli with two pickups?

semi.JPG

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Yeah, really nothing like a Rivoli or EB. Very Sekova-ish. No way to gauge how it feels plays or sounds.

Axstar likes this.
  4. Sub Four

Sub Four

Jul 19, 2016
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks, great input, i was not aware about the Framus and Sekova. The headstock has no label at all, i found one ad in the net which lists it as made by Aria?

5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    It looks to me like something made by Kawai around 1970.

4986336White_Lady_2.jpg
    25178014598529_1458416414.jpg

The unbadged headstock is otherwise identical to this Jedson:

6319307jedson_hs.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Jim Carr and Sub Four like this.
  6. Sub Four

Sub Four

Jul 19, 2016
    Berlin, Germany
    Cool, very interesting! Would be very curious if anyone reading this played one of these and can report about how it sounds and feels like?

7. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I think if you approached it with flats and low expectations then you might find it a surprisingly nice bass. It isn't an EB-2 or Rivoli copy, if anything it is closer to an Epiphone EA-260 which was a re-badged/ghost-built Matsumoku bolt-on semi-hollow bass (holy hyphens, Batman).

Sub Four and moonshinegtrs like this.
  8. It's definately a Kawai from 68-70.

TD

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    EA-260.jpg EA-5120e.jpg I'm not sure what it is, but I know what it isn't; and that's a Japanese Epi Rivoli (technically an EA-5120e - the one on the right, with the fancy tailpiece). It's successor, the EA-260, is the one on the left. I have one, and I can tell you that it gives nothing up to any short scale hollowbody bass I've ever heard - or played. If everything works as it should, I doubt you'll go wrong buying that one... you certainly can't have mine...:rolleyes:

10. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    That's one of them Depiphone Ravioli basses

11. Maximilijan lV

Maximilijan lV Commercial User

Oct 15, 2017
    I have that bass. Sound is like this...

12. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Outrageous oldschool bass thump there, but with a nice treble response as well. I really like the sound of old basses like that with the pickups at opposite ends of the body. You get the bite of the bridge pickup and the wallowing low end of the neck pickup, and because they aren't especially hot pickups (at a guess; they look like small single coils) you get a surprising fidelity.

13. Maximilijan lV

Maximilijan lV Commercial User

Oct 15, 2017
    IMG_0863.JPG

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021