Japanese Fender Jazz Bass Special colors?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcollin, Nov 30, 2017.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I'm a BIG fan of those mid-80s Japanese Fender Jazz Bass Specials. I just picked up a VERY cool and beautiful sounding fretless version but it's in this sort of weird/cool gold/green color with the usual black painted neck/head and tuners. It's very 80s looking and I do kinda like it but I've never seen one of these basses in this color. Not sure if it's original or aftermarket painted. I've seen 'em in Black, white, red and a sort of purple but not this. Does anybody know if this is an original Fender color? The bass is great and I doubt I'll change its looks. Just curious. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

2. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    The color is most likely Pewter. It's a gray metallic, but the clearcoat tended to yellow with that finish, and that makes it turn greyish-green. Post pics if you can, and congrats, they are great basses!

MarkoYYZ and rickwebb like this.
  3. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Here's a fretless Jazz Bass Special that I recently owned, and it's Pewter. You can see the greenish tint.
    IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1441.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG

CaseyVancouver and rickwebb like this.
  4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    yes original color. what tbone said.

5. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Mine too. Bought it new. People love my "silver green bass"

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022