Japanese Fender "Knock-Off's" (c. 1960's - 1970's)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gimli, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Two weeks ago, I bought a Jazz bass from a local pawn shop. It isn't actually a Fender, it is an old Japanese company called Raven. It looks and plays quite nice, but I was wondering if anybody has ever heard about it and if you can give me any opinions about it. These would be greatly appreciated.
  2. I guess nobody's heard of them then.... Nobody likes me :(
  3. TPDE

Mar 22, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm new here at TalkBass but I love reading all the threads - great info from fellow players.

I owned a Raven fretless J-bass and used it for several years. I thought it was great value for the money (under $300). I believe Raven was one of the distribution names used by Ibanez, another being Mann (I currently own a Mann Ric 4001).

The only thing I didn't like about my J-bass was the small tuners (definitely un-Fender like).
  4. That's interesting! Thanks for replying. The tuners on mine have been replaced by Gotoh's (I read somewhere that the tuners weren't particularly strong). I think its bridge could use a little work too (Does anyone know where I can pick up a good replacement for cheap?). I picked mine up for $85 (Cdn) from a pawn shop!
  5. The old Fernandes exact Fender copies were the greatest, the ones with the peel-off sticker on the headstock. Fender got mad and they no longer exist. Sometimes you will see "lawsuit" Fender copies advertised on eBay. None of the ones I have seen are the real ones, the exact copies. If you run across one in good shape, whether bass or guitar, slap some plastic on it before it gets away.
  6. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    fi I am not mistaken, the Tokai models were high quality as well.
  7. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    I have a 1977 Ibanez copy of the Fender fretless P-bass w/a maple fingerboard. It's beautiful. At the time I bought it in 77, I A/B'd it with the Fender and thought it played and sounded better than the Fender. Of course, like everybody at the time, I put in a Dimarzio J-pickup in the bridge position and a BAII bridge. As far as I know, this was also one of the "lawsuit" basses. If I recall correctly, I paid $325 new w/hard case.
  8. Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I saw one of theose Ibanez j-bass copies for sale on e-bay the other week in natural ash w/maple neck.It looked really sweet.
  9. I have an old exact Fender Strat copy, that my dad gave me a couple years ago, that he bought overseas for $25. My friend (who owns a 1976 Fender Strat Natural) said he could not tell the difference between our guitars, except for the color...