1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Japanese Fender p bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by descendent22, Feb 29, 2016.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    So I'm in the market for a new p bass. I may either buy a nice good condition used American p bass or a brand new Japanese p bass. Mexico made is out of the question because I already own one. I'm just curious on Japanese made and how the quality is, and how it compares to either an American made or Mexican made. Can someone help me out?

2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Quality is very high. As good as MIA in my experience. If ordering blind you might not get one that has tons of resonance and voice but you will not get a dud. Some MIJ's are Basswood, which might turn you off. Great basses.

fourteenstrings likes this.
  3. IME the MIJ Fenders are the best Fenders there are, period (with the possible exception of the RW series, those are pretty fine too).

MovingPitchers likes this.
  4. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    What's wrong with basswood?

5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    It dings easily and I find that sometines the tone of it is bland. Every basswood bass I have had lacked acoustic resonance, but that could have been bad luck. Some people love Basswood. Some people will tell you that there are several thousand dollar instruments (MM Bongos primarily) made of basswood. Conversely I can point you to a retailer that will sell you 20 Basswood Fender clones for the cost of a Bongo.

These are just my personal observations relating to Basswood. My dad has an MIJ Basswood P bass and it is great, but it has the lack of acoustic resonance as well. Stock it had a weak tone plugged in. Upgrades helped. The neck on the thing is superb.

6. Japanese. Those are very consistent with quality and sound but extremely hard to get since your only option is either eBay or straight outta Japan.

7. +10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

8. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    You can buy a japanese Fender without any doubt. They're on par to MIA Fenders, at least in the build area. Don't worry if the target bass is made of basswood, they're as good as alder's.