Japanese Fender Precision '60-s reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doublestop, Apr 8, 2003.

1. I have the opportunity to buy a used Japanse Fender Precision '60-s reissue. Is this a good bass?? (I'm a seasoned guitar player, but a beginning bass player!)

Thanks in advance....Peter
  2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    As long as your happy with it, it should be fine.

do you have any pics of it?
  3. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    as long as the bass is sound,fender japan are awsome! i state my favortism towards them on a daily basis(basses?)they are well made basses for a moderate amount of money(i like them better than the US models)enjoy i know i would:bassist:
  4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Make sure it truly is a re-issue. They will say "Crafted in Japan" back bottom neck with a serial number.
  5. Thanks for the replies. I don't have a picture of it, but I will look at the serial # and "crafted in Japan'" text. Thanks.

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    If it is a reissue, (I have 2, a P and a Jazz), there will be an "extra" strap button on the back of the headstock.
    The bodys on the reissues were Alder, and the pickups U.S. vintage
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That's not quite true, there is a "beginner" model reissue that has a Basswood body and Japanese pickups as well as other 'cut corners'.
  8. Given the price he's asking I suppose this is one of these "beginner reissue models". Would it be better than a MIM ?
  9. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    where can ya get the reissue? (Just curious... GREAT NOW I'M GETTING GAS AGAIN! :p ) (the alder one, preferably with rosewood fretboard)
  10. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    anywhere else? (lol if "Captain Scarlet" reads this its just for future reference ;) ) not too into that $141 shipping charge :p
  11. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That's impossible to answer.
    I have a good friend who bought a fantastic MIM Precision, but he went through every one in the store and it was one out of twenty and the other nineteen weren't as good. There are lemons and gems everywhere.
  12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, I think you can find some MIMs that are better than some CIJs. On the average, I think the CIJs are nicer than the MIMs. This doesn't mean that this one bass is better, but does mean your chances of getting a good one is better with the CIJs.

I've owned a CIJ before and now I kinda regret selling it. Ah well, live and learn.
  13. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I own 3 mij, cij basses:

Geddy Lee jazz bass
    Sting bass
    and a 1994 fretless jazz.

They are all exeptional quality, play and sound great. I would recomend them. When i worked at a large music store part time a few years ago, folks would come in from overseas, and want to see the cij, mij fenders.

Good luck.:bassist:
  14. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i to believe that your chances of getting a great bass from fender JPN than fender MEHECO, All in all fender japan IMO are superior to mex's in everyway possible, i am not sorry i bought a mex j/bass but it does give me alot of problems with the neck(it needs constant adjustment to straight ) though my japanese NEVER needs t-russ fine tuning or even string tuning (once a week if that):D
  15. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I also have a MIM, bought it for $250.00, put a set of active basslines in it, and put steel rotosounds on it, cause for $250.00 who cares if i tear up the fretboard. The factory pick-up's were not very good. but for the price, who would expect them to be. I have not had any trouble with the neck going out. i play the MIM jazz, more than my MIJ, cause
    i love the MIJ so much i dont want to tear it up.:)